2013 "RUT DATES"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

2013 "RUT DATES"

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 am

So with looking at the information from the previous years and predicting the rut dates via the moon data...

I would be curious what Alsheimer says about this years predictions. If everything falls in suit with his previous predictions, we could have an early rut this year.

I know many doesn't give much to these type of predictions, due to the variables, but if you do pay attention to these predictions each year I think Charles will predict:

Rutting Moon being Oct 29

Oct 16-25 as the best time as far as chasing goes and then
Oct 26-Nov8 for breeding.

What do yall think? This year could be an early rut?

G3s
500 Club

Re: 2013 "RUT DATES"

Unread postby G3s » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 am

In my part of the world I cant remember ever seeing any serious chasing in mid October, I am not real sure how he comes up with the rut dates...but my guess is the first 10 days of November will be great for chasing and then you will see a lot of the deer go into breeding mode and lock down. Seems to be the same every year for the most part.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:08 am

The rut is at the same time every year... There is no difference in timing. The only variables are weather and moon phase ( o/h - u/f ). Neither change the timing, but both can make or break daytime movement.

The scientifically proven trigger for the rut is the amount of day light in minutes ( length of day )

Deer farms that sell doe in heat urine actually have known this for years and create doe in heat urine before rut to sell by keeping there does indoors and turning on and off the lights at the same timing as the rut sun and dark...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:10 am

Excellent point Dan and I totally agree

Each year D&DH has an article on Charles' predictions. His predictions are bases solely on the rutting moon.
He determines the rutting moon and his "chase period" is three days prior thru three days post. Then the 7 days following the chase period he predicts as the breeding stage.

For the most part his predictions are very close, due to the fact the rut (in my opinion) happens pretty close to the same period each year.

However, I do remember and checked back in my journal that in 2005 we had an early rut moon, and I told my hunting buddys that I seen some serious chasing on Oct 16th. The 10pt ran her all over the woods around me. He was grunting and roaring non stop for several minutes . That afternoon I seen another as well as a friend of mine.

I was just curious how the early rut moon will play part in the 2013 rut predictions given by various sources each year
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 am

The place I rifle hunt does a necropsy every February for the last 8 years. We kill about 60-100 does on the 2nd weekend in February. When they pull the fetuses out of the doe, you can measure the length of them which will give the date the doe was bred. For the last 8 years the peak breeding day has been November 9th or 10th according to the fawn fetus length. It never seems to change in north east Michigan.
Last edited by vanceg on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:22 am

If you know a cop, ask him when they have the most car deer accidents... the dates are spot on with the local rut timing. Around my house its pretty much spot on for November 3rd or 4th... Every year.

Whether or not they chase during daylight, or cruise, or are active during daylight is a different story, thats more effected by moon position and weather...

There are always some deer that chase early or late, but the peak seems pretty consistent. I hunted a spot a while back where two years in a row I saw bucks chasing a doe and trying to breed her in mid September. That don't mean it was peak rut...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:38 am

Oct 31-Nov 3 is the peak where I hunt every year and never seen any evidence contrary to this. The only thing that slows the acion down is unseasonably warm weather which I'm sure just moves more movement to the cooler temps at night.

I used to follow Charles Alsheimers predictions but never felt like they accurately showed what was happening where I hunt. I am also a believer that amount of daylight is the main rut trigger.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:19 am

I agree with your comments Dan.

Charlie is a local guy but another midwest moon expert said early Oct would have some big action. Not to contradict the above I feel there are instances of early breeding (but remember this is based on estrus not two people in a bar playing with Tequila) . In addition I also plan on taking off a few days during our late season in the second week of December to catch late breeding. No calendar or pro needed- I (flat out) see mature bucks in this time frame and to substantial numbers.

I would rather hunt the last few days of Oct and first few of November...heck maybe a day or two around the 15 as well....than base anything on a calendar. I have bought plenty of them but i play the majors and minors way more....but i reference my notes way more.

hoping that makes sense :shifty:
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:35 am

When are the 2013 moon dates going to be posted?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:53 am

ozzz wrote:When are the 2013 moon dates going to be posted?

As soon as I have a chance...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:10 am

Dan, that's an excellent point about knowing a cop and getting local info.

Some of the areas I hunt out of state, I always contact the insurance offices. They have this info on file for years previous many times.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:13 am

backstraps wrote:Dan, that's an excellent point about knowing a cop and getting local info.

Some of the areas I hunt out of state, I always contact the insurance offices. They have this info on file for years previous many times.

Good to know, never thought of insurance companies.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 am

OK, you know you are on a good hunting forum when you see mention of “o/h – u/f, cops and insurance people” being used in the pursuit of deer (or maybe some crazy folks :lol: ). Have to love it.

James
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:47 am

Dan is spot on about the rut timing. Think of it like this; in the Midwest there are 10 months where there will be no rut. That leaves two months for the rut to happen; October & November. Now you can break it down even further, first three weeks in October the rut just doesn't happen. This leaves the last week in October and November.

The chasing period is first signs of the rut and that starts around the last week in October. The heavy chasing starts around the last 5 days of October. This channels into November for about 4 days. Now the breeding cycle starts "peak rut". This lasts for a couple of weeks November 4th - 20th. These dates can vary a couple of days but are pretty much etched in stone for the most part.

So my prediction; the peak of the rut in my area will be November 4th through November 20th. The best one week period will be November 7th through November 14th.

A lot of hunters confuse buck sightings as peak rut. Not necessarily so. During peak rut a lot of the bigger breeding bucks are locked down with does so sightings can be lower during peak rut compared to just before peak rut and post peak rut (especially bigger bucks). I see bucks sequestered with does all the time during peak rut. This is a great time to sneak hunt when you have a buck and doe spotted. Not all rut hunting has to be sit and wait.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:40 am

dan wrote:
ozzz wrote:When are the 2013 moon dates going to be posted?

As soon as I have a chance...

Great, thats always real nice.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”