BEAVERS!

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

BEAVERS!

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Lontg story short, I am wanting to harvest a beaver and a rover otter with the bow.

Thats about the only two critters I can think of outside of the bear and boar that lives, swims, climbsflys etc in TN that ot poked with a bow.

So while asking around some friends that may have some critter problems I could help out with...

I seen pictures of a beaver that weighed 52 lbs! Man that thing was a monster! I am sure with all the swamps etc you guys have yall are bound to have some giant beavers!!! What is an average beaver weight up there?

Bucky

Re: BEAVERS!

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:52 pm

30-55lbs I would say. A trapper took a sixty pounder off my grandfathers land yrs ago

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm

WOW!! The teeth on this thing were huge. The head on the thing was nearly as wide as a carhart work glove was long. No wonder why those things can create such a big mess in a short amount of time!

Bucky, do yall have river otters too?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Funny you mention this! Just found this one in Wisconsin Outdoor News.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm

My neighbor has a couple of beavers he wants to get rid of. Trapping season is over, and he's got freshly planted soybean in the field. Got any suggestions?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 pm

I used to know a trapper years ago who did nuisance trapping and he got a beaver over 90 pounds in S.E. Wisconsin. He life size mounted it.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 am

Sounds like we need Phil and Si to join in, they despise beavers!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 am

If the beaver is a nuisance by law you can kill them on your own land... find out where he swims in local creek/river and go get him!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 am

Given their proximity to water both beaver and otter will be challenging to recover if hit with an arrow. I assume you have checked the regs, most states wouldn't allow you to shoot an otter with a bow I think mostly for that reason. I am not sure where I would aim or what point I would use. A big broahead would mean a lot of stitching of the pelt. A blunt to the head of an otter would harvest it but those critters never stop moving. A blunt probably will not faze a beaver.

I have trapped several beaver in the 50 lb range and occasionally hear of one up to 80 lbs or so caught. I think they generally max out 40-50 lb. Its a little deceiving because they are very compactly built.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 am

Phil from Duck Dynasty is always trying to get rid of the beavers on his duck land! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”