hot hunting tip?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

hot hunting tip?

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm

just curious if any of you hunters out there have any good tips you'd like to share that haven't been mentioned yet on this site? I was wondering how often big bucks used trestles, culverts and the like to walk under roadways, rr tracks etc. I have always had a hunch about this and wanted to hang a trail camera near one that I suspected deer traffic. I wonder how often they walk in the creeks and thus there are no trails in these spots. I have heard of animals out west using them and the govt putting them in under/over freeways to save vehicle animal crashes. I have also heard of reports of deer using large culverts to go under freeways here in MI.
I have several potential spots picked out-i need to do a little scouting to see if they are legitimate. Hunting near culverts would allow easy road side hunting:)

Zap

Re: hot hunting tip?

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Buy some snake boots. :lol:

Where are you hunting in Kansas?

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 am

They definately travel railroad tracks. Killed some good ones in and around RR tracks.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:49 am

Good topic - I'm interested in some ideas.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 am

I have a chunk of private that has 4 huge culverts and the deer do use it to get from 1 side of the high way to the other. The land owner told me that it was happening and I had to see it for myself, sure enough.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:00 am

I go gun hunting on some public land up north and there is a big culvert that goes under the freeway. There is one guy who sits near this culvert and sees deer running through it all the time. He gets something every year. By the way this culvert is big enough for me to walk through standing up, and I'm 6'5"
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:13 am

On the main piece of private property that I hunt there is a spot where they walk in the creek for nearly 100 yards and go up a draw, it is an awesome funnel, but have yet to have a nice buck come through there but it is a sure thing spot for does every year.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:06 pm

It has been an unusually dry year here on the East Coast and several of the creeks that normally have water in them are dry. I've been amazed by the number of big tracks that I've found in the dry creek beds, which makes me wonder if the creeks, with or without water are normal trails for some big deer. It would make sense, both from a scent and concealment standpoint.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:51 am

[quote="wmihunter"] I have heard of animals out west using them and the govt putting them in under/over freeways to save vehicle animal crashes. I have also heard of reports of deer using large culverts to go under freeways here in MI.

I was staying at a hotel in central Wisconsin, while looking out the window I noticed a 2-3 acre strip of woods/creek caught my interest, that ran probably 300 yards by 40 yards, just 100 yards from the hotel. This is right smack dab in the middle of town with a freeway running adjacent to the wood lot, a huge mall, restaurants galore and businesses everywhere. Of coarse I had to go check it out. Under the freeway is a large culvert that goes to the opposite side of the freeway to another small acre of woods. I walked the whole length of the creek and not to my surprise was sign EVERYWHERE! Nice old rubs, tracks, poopies, and a trail that looked like it had been used by cows! I found that the deer where using this creek as a travel corridor, by going through the culvert to the other side more than likely a bedding area where it was much safer, without ever being noticed. I also found several other worn trails spreading throughout a lot going to various, more than likely, small parcels throughout the town...probably never even being noticed. I just thought to myself how EASY it would be to stay at the hotel, sneak in early in the morning and pop a mature buck using the area in the middle of town and go back that night to claim my prize...I'm sure the deer are very much used to human activity in that area and wouldn't think too much of it if a man was to hunt it. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”