Reading a TOPO

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandon
500 Club

Reading a TOPO

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:05 am

Is there any articles or threads recommeded on learning how to read topo maps in relation to finding buck bedding areas? Im amazed how you guys use them to find potential hot spots and would like to attempt to learn as well. Thanks for any advice.

You can't kill em on the couch
Zap

Re: Reading a TOPO

Unread postby Zap » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 am

Go to the store and order the hill country and marsh bucks videos..

marty
Last edited by Zap on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 am

Zap wrote:Go to th store and order the hill country and marsh bucks videos..

marty

I have them... looking for reading material, cant watch movies at work!! :)
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:41 am

There is a book out called "mapping trophy bucks" by Brad Herdon. I just got this for fathers day. Like most material out there, some of it is a little out there. But great info, and it does a great job of keeping you awake at night thinking. You can buy it from barnes and noble as well as deer and deer hunting .com. If you just want to read it, you can go to the library and have them search for it, the only bad thing is, if it is out there may be a waiting list for it. $25. Enjoy
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:04 am

dirt nap giver wrote:There is a book out called "mapping trophy bucks" by Brad Herdon. I just got this for fathers day. Like most material out there, some of it is a little out there. But great info, and it does a great job of keeping you awake at night thinking. You can buy it from barnes and noble as well as deer and deer hunting .com. If you just want to read it, you can go to the library and have them search for it, the only bad thing is, if it is out there may be a waiting list for it. $25. Enjoy

Deer and Deer Hunting sells it as well. They are always sending me deals and specials. I think last time I checked it was $15 plus shipping
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:15 am

dirt nap giver wrote:There is a book out called "mapping trophy bucks" by Brad Herdon. I just got this for fathers day. Like most material out there, some of it is a little out there. But great info, and it does a great job of keeping you awake at night thinking. You can buy it from barnes and noble as well as deer and deer hunting .com. If you just want to read it, you can go to the library and have them search for it, the only bad thing is, if it is out there may be a waiting list for it. $25. Enjoy

This is a great book. I have had mine for at least 5 years and read it again every year. I actually just noticed last week that one of our local Fleet Farm stores(West Bend,WI) was selling copies in one of the hunting aisles for less than $20
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:17 am

yes i just finished reading this link that speaks about that book as well..

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunt ... L.Burkhead

thanks guys
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:21 am

Im reading this book now. Its helpful IMO w/ lots of pics.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:50 am

I have this book and have read it, I can personally say that I was not overly impressed. My biggest gripe is that it covers very basic material like identifying saddles, benches, etc. I was hoping for something more in depth than I got. I personally thought it would be a great book for a beginner learning the basics of reading topography.

Also the book just seems to cover finding areas that will concentrate deer movement (nothing in regards to bedding). It might be good for the rut hunter looking for funnels.

Please do not take offense to this post, I am not saying those that are reading it are begginers by any means!

I could see this being a good resource just to brush up.

Did anyone else find this as well? Or is it just me?
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:22 am

DropTyne wrote:I have this book and have read it, I can personally say that I was not overly impressed. My biggest gripe is that it covers very basic material like identifying saddles, benches, etc. I was hoping for something more in depth than I got. I personally thought it would be a great book for a beginner learning the basics of reading topography.

Also the book just seems to cover finding areas that will concentrate deer movement (nothing in regards to bedding). It might be good for the rut hunter looking for funnels.

Please do not take offense to this post, I am not saying those that are reading it are begginers by any means!

I agree fully w/ what your saying. Im only 1/2 thru it and know what your saying. This is my 3rd year hunting so seeing the basics helps me some. The first chapter is a waste (the gear chapter). I was thinking it would be more in depth b/c i dont know too many hunters around who hunt using topos. Honestly I never would have thought to look at a topo until Zap referred me to the dvds. Then I bought the book to get futher knowledge. No offesense taken!
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:36 pm

DropTyne wrote:I have this book and have read it, I can personally say that I was not overly impressed. My biggest gripe is that it covers very basic material like identifying saddles, benches, etc. I was hoping for something more in depth than I got. I personally thought it would be a great book for a beginner learning the basics of reading topography.

Found it basic as well, but a great place to start your research. If you can't start by recognizing saddles, cuts, points, leewards etc.. then IMO, you cant go deeper in research. None taken.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 am

Great opinions guys, if anyone has a copy they dont want/need and could sell it cheaper than 20 bucks, PM me. Thanks again.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:13 am

Head to your local library = free ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 am

Brandon, I will borrow you my copy for as long as you would like, just PM me.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Get the Hill Counrty DVD, they will show how.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”