Post Rut bowhunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blizzardhunter
500 Club

Post Rut bowhunting

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Do you guys hunt the same beds from October/November during the post rut. Here in KY we dont have hard winters and deer dont yard up. I do believe they may adjust their bedding closer to food sources in late winter but for us the hardest part of winter is from mid January to mid Febuary. Usually the 2nd week of December shows another jump in daylight buck activity (2nd estrus cycle). So between the end of the rut and then would you still hunt the bucks core bedding area from Oct.?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Post Rut bowhunting

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Kind of... I am aware of all the beds, and hunt the ones that I assume would be being used based on current food or pressure. Or, I let scouting tell me what beds in what areas to hunt at differing times of the season.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:13 pm

If you are scouting for a post rut buck, I would assume you are doing this by checking feeding areas for fresh tracks or known travel routes? If you know most of the beds in a given area how much of a buffer would you leave between them and where you are scouting? By this I mean how close would you go looking for fresh sign and be comfortable that when the buck came thru and smelt where you had been it wouldnt affect his bedding? Also have you noticed bucks holding closer to their beds in daylight during the post rut? Most people have always said that post rut bucks wont leave their bedding area at all or very little the first couple of weeks after the rut. I dont really buy that because they need to feed badly. But because the rut here is also gun season I would not be suprised if the buck that was comfortable going 175 yards from his bed during daylight in October now only feels comfortable moving 60 yards in daylight. Have you seen anything like this?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 pm

I think the movement after rut is "somewhat" nocturnal because of gun season... I actually see better daylight movement late season (after it settles down) than early season.

As far as "how close you can get to beds while scouting?"
Well, thats an open question... Hard to answer. Different areas, different deer = different results.
In general, I like to stay about 400 yards away if looking for physical sign "unless" I am going to hunt that day, then I either scout the spot by hunting it, or hunt it if I find sign.

I also scout by shining, glassing, checking road crossings, etc.
blizzardhunter
500 Club

Unread postby blizzardhunter » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I have noticed that late december and january finds a lot of deer in fields during daylight. I guess since virtually no one even goes up to this area to look around much less hunt after November the deer get more relaxed.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 pm

I've seen rut activity around Nov. 10, Dec.10, and Jan 10 (give or take a few days) around here while hunting. With our gun season the first two weeks of Dec, I've never seen a mature deer chasing a doe during the daylight the first part of Jan. I have seen three 1.5 yr old bucks running a doe ragged in Jan, though.

Around here, the early November rut period is good, with the Thanksgiving time being maybe a little better for the chance at an old boy who got a taste first go round and is looking for the next doe to cycle and letting his guard down during the daylight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”