A bucks response to changes around his bed....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

A bucks response to changes around his bed....

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Yesterday I brought a step ladder up onto the deck that leads out of my second floor bedroom. I had never brought it up before yesterday. So last night I am sleeping and for some reason I wake up and look out of the glass door and onto the deck and see "something". I swear my mind told me it was intruder. Well the old .38 auto was in hand in dang near 1 second. Then I just began staring outside and laughing. It was the dang ladder! My mind had never seen anything on that deck before and reacted with panic in the dark.

I am wondering if this is the same reaction a mature gets when something changes in his core bedding area?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: A bucks response to changes around his bed....

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

I ve been in a similar situation. I can only imagine how a buck would feel, but probably the same way.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:34 pm

I definitely think mature deer know. I just posted a pic in the trail cam contest of a buck that is the oldest that I have pics of so far this year. Anyway I had tons of photos of deer and coyotes and other critters. This camera makes no noise, has no flash or anything else. That buck is the only deer that looked at the camera and I know it is because I had to tramp down a bunch of brush and small trees and change up the surrounding to get pics in that opening in the corn. Every other animal I have pics of paid no attention whatsoever.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 pm

I would agree that a buck looks at something different as something dangerous... But I think scent is far worse than something "seen"...
Bucks use there noses like we use our eyes... People seem to relate more to deer vision than smell, but really if something is changed physically the scent of what made the change is whats going to really freak out that mature buck.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03 pm

Yeah, I bet I lost 2 gallons of sweat it was like 93 degrees when I hung that cam and I forgot my saw and pruners and had to literally kick down the weeds and break off tree and branches. Really stupid on my part. The dumbest part was I am within 100 yards of where I think he is. First lesson for me is don't be stupid so I can get some pics even though I have read it here and abroad 100 times.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 pm

Thinking he is bedding.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:09 pm

virginiashadow wrote: So last night I am sleeping and for some reason I wake up and look out of the glass door and onto the deck and see "something". I swear my mind told me it was intruder. Well the old .38 auto was in hand in dang near 1 second.

I don't know about bucks but I'm never going to sneak around your house at night! :shock:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:16 pm

dan wrote:I would agree that a buck looks at something different as something dangerous... But I think scent is far worse than something "seen"...

I agree. The woods is always changing and deer would constantly be freaked out. I'm sure they notice changes but scent will make the difference. I had a doe walk up to my tree to check out a limb that I trimmed and dropped. When she smelled it the gig was up!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:13 pm

I agree on the smell part as well. I had a really good 2.5 year old come down a ridge this year. I could have arrowed him for a good long time but chose to hold off. The buck finally cut my tracks as he passed by my tree at only 7 yards. I had to saw off a decent sized limb in the tree as it was the only tree that I could use to get the shot angle I wanted. Once that buck cut my tracks he looked around and saw that dang limb dangling/probably stinking like fresh cut as well....he then immediately looked up at me! His reaction was all scent based as I was 20 feet high in that dang tree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”