On the track

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

On the track

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:51 pm

I took up the track of a nice buck during Wisconsins muzzleloader season on public land in northern Wis. This season takes place right after our rifle season. He had crossed a forest road and made a bee line over a hard wood ridge stopping once to nibble on "old mans beard" and continued on. He headed right to a doe bedding area and after checking the area without finding a new girlfriend he headed down into the swamp and bedded. This is where I caught up to him. Being the cagey old beast he was off and running before I came on to his bed. This is where he did something different then most bucks do. He headed to the open hardwoods and stayed there for miles (most opt for heavy thick cover). At one point he stopped and stood for a while and then turned and almost came right back. This seemed odd to me so I stood there trying to figure out why he did this. Then I saw it. Way off in the distance I could see a ground blind. This beast knew his woods well and wasn't about to go anywhere near that blind. He circled around and continued to stay ahead of me. Then I saw something that made my heart sink. He went between 2 trees that were only about a foot apart. I couldn't believe it. How could a buck with such a good track have horns that narrow? A little more studying gave me the answer. He turned his head and slid thru. When he did this he left antler marks in the bark of the tree on the right. I must have been close enought to get him to hurry. He took me on an all day game of cat and mouse. He crossed back across the road I started from about 2 miles south. They usually don't come out to roads when being followed. I took him about another 1/2 mile until he headed into the thick swamps. He started playing new games. He would go a ways then turn around and back track. He took me into a brushy area and doubled back and bedded down until I got close. He even tried running across an open swamp. I love it when they do stupid things like this. He was lucky that day because I was too far behind to take advantage. I like pushing them into the swamps. I feel I have an advantage there. I circled the swamp and picked up his track again. He was heading west into the setting sun and I had a long walk out. I gave him a wave goodbye and headed for the road before the light was gone. When I hit the road my GPS told me it was still 1 mile back to the truck. My legs were aching but the flat road was a welcome relief. Back at the camper I had to grab the doorway and pull myself up into the camper. My legs were pushed to their limits and I told them to get ready because we're going to do it again tomorrow!

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Re: On the track

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 pm

Magic,

Great story! It really captures the essence of what "tracking" is all about. Folks who haven't done it can't relate to the satisfaction that you get even after a long day tracking with no shots.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 am

Awesome story magicman! 8-) You are hardcore man and a perfect fit here at the BEAST!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:39 am

Great stuff, Magic- an entire day's worth of adventure. 8-)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:44 am

Interesting story!! Thanks for sharing!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

Great story... I was right there with you while reading.
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:07 pm

I agree with Dan, Great story magicman I was sitting there reading waiting on every word.. Walt
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:36 pm

Great story Magic! :D :D :D
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 pm

That makes me want to try it! Thanks for sharing Todd! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”