degreasing skulls

Discussions about learning taxidermy & picking taxidermist.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mossyoak

degreasing skulls

Unread postby mossyoak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:11 am

I know alot us others on here do their own euro mounts, just wondering what everyone dose to degrease skulls before whitening? I have a skull that was professionally done but the grease it making it look horrible, is it too late to fix this? I was just going to try and bleech it again when I do the skulls iam doing, but I want to try and prevent this problem in all my skulls iam doing now?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: degreasing skulls

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am

It's not too late unless it's been "sealed", which would have to be dissolved in acetone. If it hasn't been sealed , all you have to do is soak it in warm water, with clear dawn dish detergent. You have to keep the water warm, so using a aquarium heater is a good idea. This could take weeks. When the water turns cloudy, change it. Lot's of grease will come out at first, and then less and less. When you think the grease is gone, you can whiten the skull with peroxide. I used to have those dermestid beetles and have cleaned many different animal skulls doing this.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:07 am

Oh, and if you are boiling skulls, it kind of embeds the grease deeper in the bone, and it's harder to get out..........and you said bleach, don't use bleach.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 am

The two skulls I just put on the wall, I boiled in soap water nothing more. I did rinse them off with a pressure washer afterward.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks gor the help, i have been boiling my skulls as well. I actually dont use bleech i use volume 40 with basic white to make a pastse to whiten skulls seems to work very well.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm

Boil with Dawn dish soap and use 30% hydrogen peroxide to whiten (if needed).

• Advertisement

Return to “Taxidermy”