Point Deductions for Character Points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Point Deductions for Character Points

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 am

I'm curious to other opinions on this...

I think that docking points of a bucks total score due to charicter points is not well thought out. . . In the grand scheme of things, stickers, kickers, drop tines, forked tines, etc... These are rarities that make a whitetail rack look all the more impressive.

I understand that some regions, like much of the south, believe a perfectly symetrical rack is the cats meow, but I think their boring.

The freaks are where it's at in my opinion - what's yours? Why should extra points force your score down? Who created these rules and what makes him/her God of that decision?

Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Point Deductions for Charicter Points

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 am

I agree, I like to see some junk on the horns :D
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 am

I agree. I perfect huge typical is great, but a knarly nontypical really gets me going. I don't think there should be such a thing as Net score, only gross. After all, that's what the deer grew. Why penalize for nonsymetrical points? Net score is based on someones opinion of what makes a rack score well. Gross score, is what the deer worked on growing all summer. JMO. I'm sure we'll see arguments for both. That being said, I am not good at scoring on the hoof, probably because I don't get to fired up over a deer score. I just like them big and pretty :lol:
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:37 am

the crazier the rack the better :D
AC Rider
500 Club

Re: Point Deductions for Character Points

Unread postby AC Rider » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:43 am

I agree also. There should not be deductions however we should still count inside spread.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:59 am

I think there's something insanely majestic about a giant clean typical. That being said I prefer freak nasty racks for the most part.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:07 am

muddy wrote:I think there's something insanely majestic about a giant clean typical. That being said I prefer freak nasty racks for the most part.

Agree 100% 8-)
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 am

I love all of those character points!! I could care less what a buck "nets"..I prefer gross overall. However, their scoring system is based on symmetry for the most part, and it really does degrade a bucks typical scores in some cases.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:44 am

I have a buck that's a main frame 6x6. It has 5 scorable sticker points, making it a 17 pointer. It's a B&C sized buck. If I were to break off one of the stickers it would score higher. If I were to break off all five it would score really nice.

I like it the way it is. I wouldn't even consider breaking off points to make it score higher. That's where the system is really flawed.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:13 am

Spysar wrote:I have a buck that's a main frame 6x6. It has 5 scorable sticker points, making it a 17 pointer. It's a B&C sized buck. If I were to break off one of the stickers it would score higher. If I were to break off all five it would score really nice.

I like it the way it is. I wouldn't even consider breaking off points to make it score higher. That's where the system is really flawed.

I agree! Gross score matters to me, nets are for fishing ;) :lol: :lol:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 am

I agree, Gross only in my book ! Total horn baby !
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:44 am

Maybe we should start our own record book. Use the same scoring system as P & Y. Gross score, no deductions. We could call it the "Beast Book". No min. score required to be included, just fair chase. :)
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 am

score dont matter to me regardless if its gross or net to be honest.cause when i look at my deer im not thinking numbers be it gross or net. it does give us something to gauge them by if we understand the scoring system. do i like it-- doesnt much matter one way or the other. i do like the freaks, but a monster typical (clean) is truly a freak also. not too many monster typicals are all that clean, the usually have plenty of junk that gets deducted also. i like them framed big and wide personally.and dont care whats on that frame.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:49 am

The worst part about P&Y & B&C scoring systems is that they are cheatable. You really can't glue points on, but a person could break some off and turn a big buck into a world record buck and nock an honest hunter off the top...
Bukmasters came up with a good scoring system that adds all inches of antler... Some people nock there system cause they don't measure air ( inside spread ) I think its the fairest measuring system out there.
However, like it or not, B&C / P&Y have been around to long and are to well established for another system to replace them so I think we are stuck with what we got.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am

Buckmasters system is cool. I've never had any of my deer "officially" recorded and the closest they've come to paper is me ball parking them with my eye for the most part. Score is fine for most, just not part of my hunt generally.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”