Anybody use a spotting scope ?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Anybody use a spotting scope ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 am

I have some fields that I glass for scouting, the only problem is, they are about 500 to 600 yards away and all I have is regular old field glasses... I think it would help alot if I bought some sort of a spotting scope.. Anybody have any ideas on what to get... I don't want to spend a ton of money, can you get one for $300 ? Do they attach to the drivers window or anything to keep them sturdy ?

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: Anybody use a spotting scope ?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 am

I bought an Alpen spotting scope for about $120, I wouldn't reccomend it. It works about as well as my binoculars and does very poor in low light. I would think for the $300 you are willing to spend you should be able to get something decent. Make sure you know their return policy, then go test it in low light and at pretty good distance to see if you like it. They all preform good in the store under bright lights. ;)
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:51 am

I got a Nikkon I'd sell for $75. It's older, about 10 years, but still a good scope, think I paid $300 to $350. I just don't use it anymore, video camera took it's place. I probably have enough parts/peices laying around to rig up a window mount too.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:31 am

3dog wrote:I got a Nikkon I'd sell for $75. It's older, about 10 years, but still a good scope, think I paid $300 to $350. I just don't use it anymore, video camera took it's place. I probably have enough parts/peices laying around to rig up a window mount too.

Too late 3 dog, I ordered a redfield off of Cabelas this morning.. It was $200 and had really good reviews, so I scooped it up... otherwise, ya, I would have been interested.... Thanks anyway !
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:40 am

I'm interested 3dog. PM sent.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:52 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
3dog wrote:I got a Nikkon I'd sell for $75. It's older, about 10 years, but still a good scope, think I paid $300 to $350. I just don't use it anymore, video camera took it's place. I probably have enough parts/peices laying around to rig up a window mount too.

Too late 3 dog, I ordered a redfield off of Cabelas this morning.. It was $200 and had really good reviews, so I scooped it up... otherwise, ya, I would have been interested.... Thanks anyway !

Wondering how you like the Redfield?

I Have it narrowed down between that and the Leupold which costs about twice as much. The Redfield looks to be rated just as good.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 am

I got a Nikon Monarch spotter. It's only 40X but does the job fairly well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”