Outdoor Survival Situation

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What Would You Do First In An Outdoor Survival Situation

Total votes: 0
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Outdoor Survival Situation

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:50 pm

What would you do first? You remember reading that you should remain calm, but what next? You can't make it out and nightfall is near, and any electronic device(s) has a dead battery.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Outdoor Survival Situation

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 pm

It would certainly be dependent on variables... I would likely seek or make shelter for the night and worry about the rest in the morning.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:59 pm

The first and most important thing to do is sit down and analyze your situation. Make a game plan. Since your example is your stuck for the night I would plan for shelter and maybe a fire. I would gather enough wood to keep the fire all night if it was cold. I would construct a shelter of pine boughs and grass or leaves to lay on. It kinda sounds like fun. :D
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:41 am

For sure a shelter and a fire. In the morning I would be prepared, Man vs Wild and Survivor Man have taught me well. :lol: :lol:
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:57 am

I've hold up for the night many times out west. If it's going to get cool you should gather some wood, start a fire and then you have time to build some sort of shelter.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:08 am

AC Rider wrote:I've hold up for the night many times out west. If it's going to get cool you should gather some wood, start a fire and then you have time to build some sort of shelter.

I would think having quite a bit of practice at doing this would keep the confidence level high, AC Rider. I've done the fire and shelter thing for practice out in some big country, but never spent an extended period of time doing it. Every little bit of experience helps.
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:31 am

This is an interesting thread. A friend and I have thought about going up north to some big country and just living off the land for a week. No tents no nothing except for a gun, knife, and lighter. I think it would be one heck of an experience. Has anyone else thought of doing this?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:19 am

Slider, I know some guys that did this but they had a space blanket with them too. They thought it was an awesome experience- once they actually did it they had a lot more confidence in themselves if they ever encounter the situation for real. 8-)
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:43 am

I guess it would depend on the situation. Fire is real nice to have. I wouldn't spend time with a shelter unless I thought I would be there for more than one night. Water would be key. I couldn't go all day without water.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 am

The psychology of being lost is interesting to look at. Panic, fear and disappointment are powerful reactions. A fire is certainly reassuring, along with being a good signal for searchers from the air.

We have a number of votes for "start running and cry"! Probably meant as being funny, but in actuality this happens a lot. The people I've talked to who were lost described running around in a complete panic, and I'm sure they cried at least once somewhere along the way.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:57 am

Situation dictates. If I knew I might be stranded for a few days with limited supplies, my first priority would be to start a fire. With a fire, I can purify water, cook food, use it to keep me warm and use the smoke to create a signal of distress. My second priority would be to find a water source. Third, create a shelter to keep the weather and wildlife from getting to me. Fourth, find food. If I can successfully do all those things, I can survive a long time.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:05 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Situation dictates. If I knew I might be stranded for a few days with limited supplies, my first priority would be to start a fire. With a fire, I can purify water, cook food, use it to keep me warm and use the smoke to create a signal of distress. My second priority would be to find a water source. Third, create a shelter to keep the weather and wildlife from getting to me. Fourth, find food. If I can successfully do all those things, I can survive a long time.

Right on the money, good post!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 am

Stay calm and get busy.
Keep the mind occupied, find a good spot to spend the night and gather wood/make a fire.
Take inventory of available supplies/weather and check that the handgun is loaded.
Assess my mental state, if I am anxious I would get busy again, possibly making some shelter.
Make a plan for the AM.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 am

Zap wrote:Stay calm and get busy.
Keep the mind occupied, find a good spot to spend the night and gather wood/make a fire.
Take inventory of available supplies/weather and check that the handgun is loaded.
Assess my mental state, if I am anxious I would get busy again, possibly making some shelter.
Make a plan for the AM.

I think the reason some people do not survive in a situation is because lack of knowledge. Which results in panic and desperation, then problems begin to happen. It all starts with attitude. A positive attitude will pull you thru.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”