Who likes wild pork?

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinnurse
500 Club

Who likes wild pork?

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:34 pm

How often do you hunt hogs? Do you go for the big tusks or for the meat? I myself have went for the meat, but, I think a nice big boar with monster tusks hanging on my wall would look really cool!!!!! I think I'll go after one this year!!!!!I would love to try some hog doggin', but, fear my knee wouldn't let me do it safely.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Who likes wild pork?

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:27 am

but, fear my knee wouldn't let me do it safely.

Its only unsafe if you get hurt Deb.. :lol:
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

That's what I fear!!!!! I still can remember in full detail the pain of dislocation a few years ago!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:57 pm

I love to hunt wild hogs. The meat is delicious. I know I'm in the minority, but hogs are as big a trophy to me as a whitetail. They are a worthy prey and I don't care that the powers that be won't declare them a game animal.

I process the meat myself. Nothing fancy. I lay a tarp down in the side yard, cut the hide down the middle of their back, peel them like a big bananna, and go to town. I cut the ribs free with a knife, breaking cartilege between the spine and ribs. I debone the shoulders, side meat, and hams and then bag all the hide, head, hoofs, etc, and take it the local landfill.

I work two jobs and don't have a lot of time for grilling. So, I use a crock pot, and a Carolina style barbecue sauce as a marinade and barbecue. My son likes a hickory smoked sweeter barbecue, so I usually make a separate batch for him. Even my daughter likes pulled pork from wild pigs!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:28 pm

I agree with you Bad, tehy are a great quarry to go after. What's cool is that you can hunt them everyday and in some places 24 hours/day, like Texas!!! A great target, they never stand still, which makes keeping in form and practice with a bow very rewarding!!!! I think it is the best pork out there. I will NEVER buy pork in a store again and haven't since the 2 I first took last year. Just no comparison to how great it tastes compared to farm raised, store bought pork. None at all.
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 am

Never had it before, but, if given the chance to try it, I'm sure I would love it. I bet its great on the grill!
tresleggos

Unread postby tresleggos » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:49 am

i dont see any reason at all to be afraid of a pig, im 5'9'' and pushing around 200 lbs, i think i can defend myself from a piggy,,,,,,,,and yes wild pork is delicious
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 am

tresleggos wrote:i dont see any reason at all to be afraid of a pig, im 5'9'' and pushing around 200 lbs, i think i can defend myself from a piggy,,,,,,,,and yes wild pork is delicious

Hey Eric, remember that time I was trying to kill a big pig with a knife and you came over and handed me your big hand cannon to finish the job.. :lol:
Dude,you really need to come along to pigfest! It won't be the same!
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 am

like some know I'll try it next fall if I can go in Texas like I did plan.
I just can tell it's probably very close then Wild Boar...and I'm a fan of!!!
I'll tell you the differences between behavior and meat test... ;)
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 am

Same thing Michel!!!! I would say the only difference in taste will be from the difference in what they eat. The ones they will be hunting in Michigan at Pigfest are Russian Boars. The ones in Texas are a mix of any kind of pig out there and are feral pigs. Some have some Russian in them, some razorbacks, some domestic gone wild, some hybrids of any and all there are. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors in Texas from little footballs to huge 400-800# bruisers and a few even bigger!!!!! I have seen a pic of a 900# boar taken with an arrow!!!!! It looked to be a domestic gone wild. He was not a good eatin' hog as you can imagine.
You're gonna love it Michel!!!!! If you get a chance or have a place or can make one your self, try to practice from a treestand at a moving target as pigs never stand still for more that a few seconds. That's what makes them so much fun to hunt, that and the target for the most part is much smaller than deer, elk and bear. Hunting hogs is comparable, to me, as bowfishing carp. Always on the move and gotta shoot low and tight. But hogs taste much better!!!
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 am

Love it. The meat is wonderful, and there's not much that is more fun than hog hunting, especially with dogs.
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:38 am

Had some wild pork loin for breakfast. Applied the barbecue sauce very lightly. Flavored, not smothered. Absolutely delicious. MmmmmMMMMM! :mrgreen:
Hurricane

Unread postby Hurricane » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:17 am

Oh Yeah..gotta love that pulled pork BBQ!!! I just did up my entire hog that way :D Cooked it up then measured it out in a Cool Whip bowl and vacuum packed it...lots of fast tasty suppers there!!
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:03 pm

I love wild pork! They are fun to hunt off season too!
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:04 pm

Basinboy wrote:I love wild pork! They are fun to hunt off season too!

Corey, that hogs got some sort of strange antler growing from it's back! :o :mrgreen: Nice hog!

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”