Interesting series of trail cam pics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Interesting series of trail cam pics

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:52 am

After getting an "OK" buck on film it suddenly dawned on me that this buck has been around for longer than I realized. The split right ear notches, the left G2 kicker, facial features, and the fact that all these pics were taken within 75 yards of each other on the same farm lead me and everyone I've shown them to to believe it's the same buck. Weird that the drop showed up and then went away, but that's not uncommon from what I've heard. Sucks that he's never going to amount to much score wise but I'll kill him if given the chance.

2007 - split in the ear

2008 - split ear, now a g2 kicker

2009 - split ear, g2 kicker, hard to see much but trust me the same

2010 - split ear, g2 kicker, same browtine and antler config

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Re: Interesting series of trail cam pics

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 am

Very interesting, the last two years he showed up on July 19th for the first time.

tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:59 am

nice, hope you get him. its nice getting deer year after year to see how they grow.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

or in this case, DIDN'T grow!

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 am

It would have been intesting to post the 2010 pic, and have people guess the age. I bet no one would have put this buck at over 5 years of age.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:22 am

Probably not, until you sit there and think. That giant head and saggy belly made me say "wow" out in the field while looking on the cam. Wasn't until the next day when I realized who it was.

Any guesses on how old he is in 2007? First instinct is 2.5, but since he hasn't done anything in the antler department I'm sorta thinking he may even be 3.5 in 2007.

That all being said, I've only seen him ONCE during daylight hours and only have a few day light photos of him ONLY IN 2007 and that one time in '09.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 am

If the deer was in northern WI, yeah i could believe he was 5 or older. In IA? What causes the poor antler growth, strickly genitics? I assume other deer in this area have "normal" growth.

After seeing some of your buck pictures from IA one would think fawns come out as basket rack 8 pointers. :D
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 am

Contrary to what some people assume not every deer down here turns into a fabled "booner". This particular deer just got unlucky in the antler department, be it from losing the genetic lottery or something else.

Don't worry HH, I have a few others that just showed up recently to chase!

DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:05 am

Great series of pictures muddy. Hope you can get a crack at him. Thanks for sharing 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:50 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:If the deer was in northern WI, yeah i could believe he was 5 or older. In IA? What causes the poor antler growth, strickly genitics? I assume other deer in this area have "normal" growth.

After seeing some of your buck pictures from IA one would think fawns come out as basket rack 8 pointers. :D

Some will probably disagree with this... But I really don't think Iowa has great genetics in most areas. The reason people see more trophy bucks there has more to do with the age structure than genetics.
When a 160 inch buck gets shot near my home in Wisconsin its often a 3 year old, in Iowa its often a 5 or 6 year old...
I have been fortunate to hunt a lot of places and believe that Iowa does offer great potential to harvest huge bucks, probably more so than any other state... But its age class, not genetics.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:59 pm

dan wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:If the deer was in northern WI, yeah i could believe he was 5 or older. In IA? What causes the poor antler growth, strickly genitics? I assume other deer in this area have "normal" growth.

Some will probably disagree with this... But I really don't think Iowa has great genetics in most areas. The reason people see more trophy bucks there has more to do with the age structure than genetics.
When a 160 inch buck gets shot near my home in Wisconsin its often a 3 year old, in Iowa its often a 5 or 6 year old...
I have been fortunate to hunt a lot of places and believe that Iowa does offer great potential to harvest huge bucks, probably more so than any other state... But its age class, not genetics.

I agree, if Wi. had the same strict tag system we would see alot more older and bigger bucks each year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”