Would you take the shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you take the shot? ( read story below )

YES
3%
NO
97%
MAYBE
No votes

Total votes: 29
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Would you take the shot?

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 am

Craker is an avid Wisconsin hunter who takes dozens of whitetails per year traveling to multiple states... Says he has been waiting for an opportunity to shoot two deer with one arrow, the shot finally presented itself.
Would you take the shot?

By Chris Vetter Chippewa Falls News Bureau
CHIPPEWA FALLS - Doug Craker is an experienced hunter, having shot 17 deer in 2007 and 2008 during various state seasons.
Craker, 53, who lives on Lake Wissota, has been hunting for 40 years, but he did something Sunday he's never done - kill two deer with one arrow.
The memorable shot happened at 6 a.m. on Craker's hunting property near Holcombe in Herd Control Unit 23 with hunting partner Emmett Walker.
Two does, each about a year old, emerged through the woods, side by side.
"I'd seen the opportunity," Craker said. "Being in a tree stand, I was angled straight down. It just happened to come together. I would have let them go if this opportunity hadn't presented itself."
Craker estimates he was 15 feet off the ground, and the deer were about 18 yards away when he took the shot. He used a PSE Nova 4 bow with a 72-pound draw and a Terminator arrow.
"It took the heart out of the second one, and (the arrow) got stuck in the ground," Craker said. "It had to break ribs four times in the travel."
The deer ran in opposite directions after the shot. Craker dressed the first deer, then had to follow the blood trail to locate the other one.
"I think that second one virtually ran herself out of blood," he said.
Terry Moulton, owner of Mouldy's Archery & Tackle in Lake Hallie, said Craker had been in his store a few days before the two-deer shot to get his bow tuned up and new strings.
"I've heard of this happening just one time before," Moulton said. "It doesn't surprise me, with today's modern archery equipment. That is pretty amazing."
Moulton said Terminator arrows are made of carbon, and they have a lot of energy as they leave a bow.
Craker said he had already shot an eight-point buck in September and was looking for a big doe when the two yearlings came by.
With the number of deer that Craker shoots annually, he makes sure none of the meat goes to waste.
"I take care of a lot of older people who appreciate the quarters of venison," Craker said.
Craker had tags for both animals.
Vetter can be reached at 723-0303 or chris.vetter@ecpc.com.

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: Would you take the shot?

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 am

Difficult to say...
I would say, one is good enough and no one are able to say the travel direction after the hit, so that's a little to hypothetic for me...the risk of hurt non deadly the second are quite to big...
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:49 am

No I would not. To many things that can go wrong. You have no idea of where/how that arrow is coming out of that first deer.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 am

Would not take the shot. in my opinion completely unethical.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:11 am

Negative, not a consideration for me.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 am

I cannot say until the situation presents itself.
With the 90 lbs K/E that i shoot, I have thought if this was possible for me to do a few times.

Kill both deer = ethical.
Dont kill both deer = unethical.

20 yard broadside shot a one deer that results in a gut shot, unrecovered deer = unethical.

Same shot in both lungs = ethical.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Slider1005

Unread postby Slider1005 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:03 am

For me it would be no for sure. To many things could go wrong. In my opinion it is a matter of ethics. A more experienced hunter like doug felt he could make the shot and recover both deer, therfore ethical. For me it's just to risky.
Ashley

Unread postby Ashley » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 am

Definately not.
stikbow26

Unread postby stikbow26 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Flat out STUPID as far as I am concerned, There is not one person on here that can tell me or prove to me that they know 100% where that arrow is going to go after hitting the first deer.. Walt
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 pm

stikbow26 wrote:Flat out STUPID as far as I am concerned, There is not one person on here that can tell me or prove to me that they know 100% where that arrow is going to go after hitting the first deer.. Walt

Agree 100% Walt
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Like Walt said there is no clue what its going to hit going through the first deer and possibly deflect so it's a definite no for me as well.
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 pm

Interesting to think about, but, definately not! I would even have my doubts with a high powered rifle.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 am

NO way! Heck just to see 2 does where I hunt is a bonus :shock: Maybe one of them would make it til next season and have a fawn :D I think that is killing and not hunting! That kind of garbage is just more fuel for the antis fire imo.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:03 am

I would say no also, lots of good points on the no's

Public Land Beast wrote:NO way! Heck just to see 2 does where I hunt is a bonus :shock: Maybe one of them would make it til next season and have a fawn :D I think that is killing and not hunting! That kind of garbage is just more fuel for the antis fire imo.

:lol: Couldn't agree more PLB ;)
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 am

Personally no, just too many variables that could go wrong.........but if that guy was confident in his ability and the arrows KE to pass thru both deer and make a clean kill on both, more power to him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”