I Think I'll Get The Tag

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Dewey

Re: I Think I'll Get The Tag

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Good Luck Spysar!!
It sounds like you are set up for a great hunt! 8-)

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

That is awesome Spysar. I hope you get a slob!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:03 pm

Good for you, buddy.
Shoot a big one!

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Good luck in Iowa this fall... Like you need it! :lol:
I really found it humbling the times I have been to Iowa how generous the people are to strangers... The majority of places I asked to hunt gave me permission without wanting anything in return...
One time there was a mix up on a land border and I was parked in a field glassing some property trying to see if there was a good way to access the spot I wanted to hunt when a truck pulled up. A guy got out of the truck in all camo and walked over and introduced himself and asked if I was planning on hunting down where I was glassing. I said yes, I am planning on hunting it, but did not want to step on any toes and if he was hunting there I would move on.
He said "you were here 1st go ahead... Then I said, No, I need to check with the land owner yet, Im not positive on the border. He looked at me kind of puzzled and said "Well thats my land..." But like I said, go ahead, according to your plates your from out of state, and payed a lot for one deer tag, I get to hunt here all the time. Enjoy yourself!"
Now wouldn't it be nice if more people had that great attitude! 8-)
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

I lived in Iowa for three years. Some nice midwestern people there. Very gracious in all they do.
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 am

Best of luck down in Iowa this season spysar. Dan that is a crazy story now only if some people in Wisconsin would be that gracious.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:53 am

My last time in Iowa, I met some really nice folks too. I had someone give me permission to hunt 200 acres, and I didn't even ask. :D Too bad we non-res hunters can only hunt every three years (on average), it kinda makes it hard to establish relations with the local folks.

I'm really looking forward to being there. :mrgreen:
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:59 pm

You know, I found the Iowa opener to be really good. Not as much pressure either... Both of my Iowa bucks are from rut, but there was a lot of competition during rut and I had the woods to myself opening weekend and saw several great bucks and even passed a pretty good one.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Things are lining up with the stars for my Iowa hunt. I talked to the farmer who rented me a cabin. I now have 740 acres of prime southeast Iowa farm land to hunt. He got me permission from his neighbor too!!! And he said they have way too many deer and I had to thin a couple out!!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:47 am

Wow! Those stars are really lining up! Good job and good luck.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm not familiar with Iowa period or the point system used that you guys talk about, but tying up 650 bones for an opportunity...shew I couldn't do it unless your talking about very high percentages on laying 160 inches of antler on the ground. Around here it's not uncommon to put 140 inches down for the cost of in state tags and license, 95.00. I'm not knocking you fellas at all trust me I LOVE to hunt for mature whitetails also but I work way too hard for my money to lay it down for a chance. And by the way good luck this year...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Well, I leave monday for Iowa. Gonna get there tuesday and spend a few days scouting. Then head to SD and NE and back to Iowa. See ya'll in about five weeks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Spysar wrote:Well, I leave monday for Iowa. Gonna get there tuesday and spend a few days scouting. Then head to SD and NE and back to Iowa. See ya'll in about five weeks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good luck man! You won't need it in IA with 740 acres of prime habitat! Are you doing the river float hunt again this year in NE?

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:29 pm

Yes, I'll be takeing my zodiak boat, and using it wherever I think I can get close to deer from the water. I have a few spots in Iowa too where I might use the boat.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:25 am

Would be neat to meet up with you while you're in my neck of the woods but sounds like you'll be busy! If you get in a jam gimmie a buzz, drop me a PM if you want my cell number.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”