Is camo overrated?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Is camo overrated?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Good post, Lou- I had a black light when I was a kid, heck that was so much fun I'd buy one just for kicks and grins- checking clothing for UV would be a bonus. 8-)

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:...2.) The other main culprit is - A lot of the major camo companies have their stuff made in China and they add UV brighteners to it to give it shelf appeal...

I have always got a kick out of that statement. It sounds like an oxymoron to me. :D On one hand we need a black light to see if UV brighteners have been used, but on the other hand it is for shelf appeal (which means we can see it).

Lou,
I thought all the major camo companies stated in the past that they no longer use UV brighteners (shortly after Atsko came out with their eliminator) and I assumed the newer companies would not use them either? Do you know of any specific companies UV brighteners? I did have a cheap pair of camo coveralls a long time ago that really glowed. At last light they would glow so bad they looked like they were practically battery powered. It was unbelieveable. Maybe I will have to get some UV eliminator when I get my new camo's. I don't want to glow like that again. :shock:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 am

Good thread as always PLH! 8-) I think another thing is style! A lot of hunters want to look pretty in the woods! Sounds weird but they want to look like the "PROS" :roll: ! A lot of todays hunting garments are all about looking good in the woods! Not just clothing either, bows and accessories also! This has no merit whatsoever to helping you harvest an animal! With all the scams and crap on the market guaranteed to make you a better hunter, ya wonder how our ancestors ever killed an animal! :lol: I don't know about you guys, but I don't care much bout lookin pretty! I want something that works!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

Deerslayer, no I dont have a list of specific UV brighteners used by the major camo companies. They wouldnt provide them when I requested such list ;)

However, I have picked up UV brighteners with my black light in some stuff purchased in the last two years.

I recommend a black light to all. Then you will know instead of just guessing
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Some of my favorite camo is brown and tan plaids (marsh, cattails, standing corn) and green plaids in early season, black and white plaid during snow.

I have fond memories of my father purchasing solid green insulated hooded sweatshirts and laying oak leaves on them and using good old rustoleum in tans and blacks to spray the patterns on the jackets. Circa 1979.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:19 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Deerslayer, no I dont have a list of specific UV brighteners used by the major camo companies. They wouldnt provide them when I requested such list ;)

However, I have picked up UV brighteners with my black light in some stuff purchased in the last two years.

Lou, no, no, no, no, I meant which companies use them not which brighteners they use. PM me the stuff you found brighteners used on if you don't mind. Just curious.

publiclandhunter wrote:...black and white plaid during snow...

All good, but I especially liked the black and white. I never tried that. I bet it would work real good in the brush.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

I actually bought the UV killer and have all of my pop-up blinds treated with the stuff. Same belief, that they use the brighteners on the fabrics. If so, they must look like huge glowing billboards in the woods.

PLH
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:14 am

I have a small room in my basement, and just replace the regular bulb with a black light bulb. I have all my hunting clothes and equipment laid out. You would be amazed at what "Glows", from arrow fletchings, to caps, and mittens. And don't forget about socks, if your socks come out past your boots. I agree with the others, who say a black light is necessary.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:53 am

Black Squirrel wrote:I have a small room in my basement, and just replace the regular bulb with a black light bulb. I have all my hunting clothes and equipment laid out. You would be amazed at what "Glows", from arrow fletchings, to caps, and mittens. And don't forget about socks, if your socks come out past your boots. I agree with the others, who say a black light is necessary.

I will definately have to try that Squirrel 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:05 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:
I haven't used the ENIGMA or Predator, but I will have at least one of them by season. I think the material is an often overlooked aspect and I really like the Wolfskin material that ENIGMA has. That is probably the one I will get first.
I cant remember your address...PM it to me with your jacket and pant size...I'm sending you some Natural Gear...Happy late Birthday!!!

You beat me to it Ninja! Natural Gear for me is the way to go. I had a buddy that uses NG and from about 50 yards in the winter he was invisible. I agree with most of you, all this "new cool camo" is nothing more than a black blob in the tree. I'm sure it serves it's purposes at certain times of the year, but all year around camo I'm going for NG. Save your money.

My dad back in his bowhunting days, early 70's, wore just jeans and flannel shirt and maybe a military style jacket and it worked for him...12 arrows later!
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 am

BowtechHunting,

Just goes to show that if they don't notice, smell or hear you.....it doesn't matter what you are wearing - only if you can shoot straight!

PLH
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 am

publiclandhunter wrote:BowtechHunting,

Just goes to show that if they don't notice, smell or hear you.....it doesn't matter what you are wearing - only if you can shoot straight!

PLH

Haha, I love to hear that story from him! Him and my uncle were big bowhunters, not so much now, but to hear him telling how nervous he was shooting his first doe! He said he missed so many times at deer, that he had to climb out of his stand and go get his arrows that were stuck in trees and in the ground and finally got one 12 shots later! Back then early 70's bowhunting wasn't popular at all and to see a single deer was a big ordeal. Him and my uncle must have had a hot spot, cause the seen deer all the time.
I might have to pull that information out for this year, blue jeans and flannel.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:05 am

I recently started using optifade camo....so far so good. My next choices are ASAT then Predator. Anything but blob camo. Here is a link to webisodes behind the optifade camo design. there are 13 of them which are all pretty good views. Enjoy!http://www.optifade.com/hunting-gear/content/webisodes.html

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:36 am

Predator all the way. Most broken up, most proven........... What do u guys think about the new vertigo stuff? Was looking at it the other day.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Deerslayer, no I dont have a list of specific UV brighteners used by the major camo companies. They wouldnt provide them when I requested such list ;)

I found a black light flashlight on eBay for under $15 last year and use it to check all of my hunting clothes. It's easy to throw in my vehicle so I always have it with me.
Funny thing is that my old Treebark from the 80's does not glow but as you experienced Lou everthing I bought the last few years did until I sprayed everything with UV Killer including my Double Bull blind.
I often wonder if the UV glow is why whitetails are so skitish about pop up blinds and the reason we need to brush them in so much??

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”