Jake scores on an old hook spurred devil

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Jake scores on an old hook spurred devil

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Every year our friends the Rowes make the trip down from Iron county to chase turkeys with us. This year both Jake (16) and Cameron (12) where hunting, so it was a high priority for them to get birds. I usually call/guide for Andy's(jake and Cams Dad) uncle Dan, we have killed a bird or two through the years, but this time it was Jakes turn to hunt in front of the camera.........Andy was devoting most of his hunt to Cameron to help him tag his first bird. It rained thurs. morning so i decided to catch up on some business, the weather broke in the early afternoon so Lizzy(my step daughter) and I headed to the farm, (Lizzy was running the other video camera to try and get footage of grandpa Roger's hunt). I met up with Jake and we hit the timber, on my first series of calls a gobble bellowed from a valley about 300 yards out........within minutes he was closing the gap and I saw him cross the valley floor to our side of the timber, but instead of waltzing right in he took the long route that put him about 100 from us and on a strut zone in the middle of the timber! After 4 or 5 calling series we could tell he was just strutting back and forth, so I whispered to Jake that we would give him the silent treatment and see what happened.......after about 15 mins. I spied him coming our way, Jake had the gun in position and was ready to put him in the dirt, however Mr. Gobbler had other plans and skirted us at about 75 yards. The woods was fairly open where we set up and I think the lack of a decoy had him a bit standoffish................We worked another bird from a different set up but he was not coming in so we ended the day empty handed................Friday morning dawned clear and mild and the birds were gobbling pretty good on the roost, Jake and I set up in an area that I knew birds liked to travel. After working a couple gobblers off the roost a Jake sauntered in at about 6 am, Jake had a shot but chose to hold off for a big boy, the jake got spooky and putted his way off, about 15 mins. after the young gobbler left , a hen started getting mouthy with me, so we exchanged a few words and elicited a gobble from about 100 yards away! Perfect I thought, I continued to work the hen and the gobbler blasted again from about 75 yards out, Jake could see him strutting towards us through the thick underbrush! I thought he had gobbled further to my right so I was scanning the woods intently wanting to get the action on video. After what seemed like 2 hours of silence (really about 2 mins.) I decided I needed to call one more time in hopes he would gobble and give away his position, as the last yelp rolled off the glass call, Jake put some lead in the old boys head! He was slipping in to the left of my position and because of the underbrush I never saw him! At 15 steps the heavi-shot flopped him and he ended up in a thicked at the bottom of a ditch! Upon inspection of his prize Jake exclaimed "You gotta see this spur dude!" One measured 1 5/8" the other was broken to just under 1" a true Monarch of the timber! After some follow up footage we carried his trophy back to the truck, the time 7:05 am. This was Jakes second gobbler in so many years and he stated one of the more exciting hunts as he got to see the whole show (gobble , strut, etc......) I couldn't be more proud to help him tag such an awesome bird!

chad
500 Club

Re: Jake scores on an old hook spurred devil

Unread postby chad » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

8-)
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: Jake scores on an old hook spurred devil

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Awesome! 8-)
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club