Jackson Marsh in Wisconsin

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

glubke
Facebook: none

Jackson Marsh in Wisconsin

Unread postby glubke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I was just introduced to this website about two days ago and i love it. A ton of good info on hunting public land.
That brings me to my question. I have hunting private land all my life other then two yrs ago when i lost it and had to start hunting public land. Totally diffrent game.
I started hunting Jackson Marsh two yrs ago and i am really having a hard time locating or patterning deer.
I have gone out scouting in the winter and in the spring and i just can not seem to get a pattern on where these deer are moving or bedding.
I freezer has been empty of deer meat for two years and i would really like to change my luck. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ever hunted this public land and could throw me a pointer or two that might help me to bag a deer with my bow.
I watched Dan's video on how to hunt public swamp land and it was loaded with great information. I will try to apply some of those tactics next year.

BigHunt

Re: Jackson Marsh in Wisconsin

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:15 pm

:whistle:

just keep scouting man, something good will come your way 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:23 pm

Watch Dans video again, then watch it again and then one more time. Take notes, have your computer open with topo and ariel mapos of Jackson Marsh open on your computer and pause the video as Dan goes over where to locate bedding. Find similar points in you r public marsh. Write them all down, print a map and mark that up, then get out there as soon as possible and find the bds and formulate a plan.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:28 pm

Welcome!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:30 pm

glubke wrote:I was just introduced to this website about two days ago and i love it. A ton of good info on hunting public land.
That brings me to my question. I have hunting private land all my life other then two yrs ago when i lost it and had to start hunting public land. Totally diffrent game.
I started hunting Jackson Marsh two yrs ago and i am really having a hard time locating or patterning deer.
I have gone out scouting in the winter and in the spring and i just can not seem to get a pattern on where these deer are moving or bedding.
I freezer has been empty of deer meat for two years and i would really like to change my luck. I was wondering if anyone on this site has ever hunted this public land and could throw me a pointer or two that might help me to bag a deer with my bow.
I watched Dan's video on how to hunt public swamp land and it was loaded with great information. I will try to apply some of those tactics next year.

Welcome to the BEAST... If you watch the DVD close, it really spells out where those bucks your after will be bedding and traveling in daylight. Its not to late to scout bedding areas now, especially if you have no leads... If you choose not to scout anymore this year, you can still have pretty good luck by studying the marsh on an Aerial photo, and hunting the likely spots, or just putting the stand on your back and walking the transition line till you find a likely spot, set up and hunt. If nothing happens, move. Most newbie's in my opinion make the mistake of finding buck sign, and camping out on it. If nothing happened there, you need to keep moving.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:41 pm

I just looked at Jackson marsh in google earth and it looks like a tough property to hunt our scout. All of the terrain is very much the same as the rest...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Unfortunately there are no deer in the Jackson Marsh :D :D :D :D :D

Just kidding, it is a very challenging area to hunt, but there are deer in there. Finding consistent buck beds is a challenge. Have you done much scouting there? As you are probably aware it gets a ton of hunting pressure, you need to use the pressure to your advantage. If you see "hunter sign" keep walking. I would also suggest being in a treestand when the pheasant opening day. Just make sure you wear orange when you are walking out :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would suggest buying "Marsh Bucks" and "Hill Country Bucks" they will help alot.

Good luck this season.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:09 pm

glubke wrote:I was just introduced to this website about two days ago and i love it. A ton of good info on hunting public land.
[glow=red]I watched Dan's video on how to hunt public swamp land and it was loaded with great information. I will try to apply some of those tactics next year.
[/glow]

I need to read more closely :D
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I have gone out scouting in the winter and in the spring and i just can not seem to get a [glow=red]pattern on where these deer are moving or bedding.[/glow]

Once the pressure picks up in the area (doesn't take long) the deer tend to hid out in the cedar swamp portion of the marsh.
glubke
Facebook: none

Unread postby glubke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Great info guys. I think I have some good spots picked out but the problem I am having I that there is no pattern at least from I can see to where the deer are moving. It seems like there is no certain trails they follow like on private land. I am still learning and it is a great challenge for me. So, when I finally take one down I will have a awesome feeling of pride.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:35 pm

If I were you, I would spend some time shining the area just after dark. (during the season). this will give you an idea where the deer may be exiting the marsh and give you an idea where to start.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:50 am

Glubke,
There are definitely patterns on where the deer, especially the mature bucks, bed and travel during daylight. The main issue with the swamp your looking at is its features are so subtle, its hard to recognize. It can take years to master a swamp like that one. If there is an easier type of terrain around for you to hunt, it might be a better choice.
To master that swamp, your going to need to spend a lot of time out there finding the over looked spots, the preferred bedding areas etc. I would move around a lot during hunting season trying different areas, in the off season I would walk and scout as much of the swamp as possible. Try to find areas of transition. Such as scout the entire outer edge of the swamp. You may find some spots along the road that do not get hunted because everybody parks at a parking spot and goes out and no one follows the road edge, the outer edge of the swamp will also be a good transition for bedding, any portion of it that does not receive pressure, should have good deer bedding and thus daylight activity.
When you look for transitions within the swamp, look for tree type changes, such as height or age of trees (or brush) or grass/cattails meet timber, or cedar meets hardwood, etc. A lso look for slight elevations in ground height...
Bedding in a swamp will be best at two elevation locations, the highest spots, and the lowest. By lowest, they are just above water level. They will bed in spots flooded with water, but not actually in the water, they find humps of ground sticking out to lay on.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 am

dan wrote:Glubke,
There are definitely patterns on where the deer, especially the mature bucks, bed and travel during daylight. The main issue with the swamp your looking at is its features are so subtle, its hard to recognize. It can take years to master a swamp like that one. If there is an easier type of terrain around for you to hunt, it might be a better choice.
To master that swamp, your going to need to spend a lot of time out there finding the over looked spots, the preferred bedding areas etc. I would move around a lot during hunting season trying different areas, in the off season I would walk and scout as much of the swamp as possible. Try to find areas of transition. Such as scout the entire outer edge of the swamp. You may find some spots along the road that do not get hunted because everybody parks at a parking spot and goes out and no one follows the road edge, the outer edge of the swamp will also be a good transition for bedding, any portion of it that does not receive pressure, should have good deer bedding and thus daylight activity.
When you look for transitions within the swamp, look for tree type changes, such as height or age of trees (or brush) or grass/cattails meet timber, or cedar meets hardwood, etc. A lso look for slight elevations in ground height...
Bedding in a swamp will be best at two elevation locations, the highest spots, and the lowest. By lowest, they are just above water level. They will bed in spots flooded with water, but not actually in the water, they find humps of ground sticking out to lay on.

good stuff Dan.....
Glubke......Patience, Patience, Patience..........I guess what I am saying is "Take your time and really let the deer and land tell you what is going on" Patience :!:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:24 am

If you are uncertain/not confident on your sets, I would get back out scouting. It is kind of miserable this time of year with the mosquitoes and flies, but you still have time to find good spots to hunt.

Bring a head net :D
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:If you are uncertain/not confident on your sets, I would get back out scouting. It is kind of miserable this time of year with the mosquitoes and flies, but you still have time to find good spots to hunt.

Bring a head net :D

yes a head net is needed ...i spot checked an area the other day and i was just about taking away by our state bird the skitter !!! :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”