Is camo overrated?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

publiclandhunter
500 Club

Is camo overrated?

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:39 pm

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but what is your thought on production camo? Mine personally, is that it is overrated in many aspects. First off, I believe most patterns are too detailed and too small to sufficiently camo the human form. On a store rack up-close they look great, but at twenty-five yards hanging off the side of the tree, they tend to lose the detail and make you look like a dark form hanging on the tree...suspicious to most mature bucks. Most are way too dark from the get-go and then once washed a couple of times they fade and get darker.
The other real problem with most is cost....way too expensive for what they do. Due to large-scale sponsorships, the companies have to get an arm and a leg for their garments to help foot-the-bill for all of the pseudo-celebrities that strut around in their "brand".
I believe that the best patterns are larger and more open with a good mixture of earth/vegetation tones and hues. They look good at not only ten-yards but also at 100-yards. One good example is predator camo....I have never been paid a dime by them - but believe their pattern may be one of the best on the market today.
What about good "old-fashioned" plaids? I believe they have merit in that they can be multi-toned and have a larger pattern. It worked for over a century and some folks still swear by it. I often wear it just because it has a "throwback" look (I like to be different and break the flow of the masses) and it can be obtained "cheaply" from a second-hand store.
Oftentimes I don't wear any production camo, just drab jeans and a plaid button-up with a fleece vest.

How about you? Your take on production camo?

PLH

Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Is camo overrated?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:06 pm

publiclandhunter wrote:Not to ruffle any feathers here, but what is your thought on production camo? Mine personally, is that it is overrated in many aspects.

I agree with you there. Although I like that ENIGMA camo quite a bit for a production camo. Especially for tree stand hunting.

publiclandhunter wrote:...The other real problem with most is cost....way too expensive...

You got that right!

publiclandhunter wrote:...for all of the pseudo-celebrities that strut around in their "brand".

:lol: :lol: :lol: I use that word a lot when talking about the hunting industry. I usually use the expression pseudo-experts though. :mrgreen: It's unfortunate for newer hunters as they don't know which ones they should and should not listen to.

publiclandhunter wrote:...I believe that the best patterns are larger and more open with a good mixture of earth/vegetation tones and hues. They look good at not only ten-yards but also at 100-yards. One good example is predator camo....I have never been paid a dime by them - but believe their pattern may be one of the best on the market today.

I like the predator camo a lot too. Especially for ground hunting.

publiclandhunter wrote:How about you? Your take on production camo?
PLH

I have used plain colored sweats in pines with great success. I don't think I have ever been picked off using the olive drab. I don't use it in trees with sparse cover though.

I haven't used the ENIGMA or Predator, but I will have at least one of them by season. I think the material is an often overlooked aspect and I really like the Wolfskin material that ENIGMA has. That is probably the one I will get first.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:56 am

I try to pick up one "nice" ($50-60 max for me) outfit each year or two. I do think that camo is extremely important at certain times of the year (leaf drop) and that good camo significantly out performs no camo or inferior camo (dark blog camo).

These are the two types of camo I am looking at purchasing this year...the Predator Fall Gray (too expensive for me but I am still interested) and ASAT.

Predator Fall Gray

ASAT
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I think camo can be over rated... But it still has its positive sides.
The important thing is that you blend in with your surroundings and unless you hunt the same spot every time you hunt your camo needs are going to change with different set ups. I need to blend into cattails, not get seen against the sky, or against the big black trunk of an oak tree, etc,etc... I too often use clothes that are not camo as a way to blend in.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I was going to say ASAT and PREDATOR CAMO. I wish I would have gotten either one of these years ago. At this point I have neither, waiting for future purchase. It seems funny some of the best camo is the hardest to find. Just look in the catalogs, both of these camo as I believe aren't paying high sponsor for the camo.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:23 pm

I forgot to add and make fun of me, but this year I needed some new hunting pant. I was at the GAP Store in Madison and they had some drab green pants with pockets on the side and all over, on clearance anyways I plan of wearing this year.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:30 pm

Beauford--finding a good, cheap pair of hunting pants is a GOOD thing. Heck, I am currently looking for a couple pairs of camo pants and do not want to pay no $30 for each pair...so if I find a couple pairs at a store like the GAP, then I will buy them and smear deer blood on them when I arrow a deer! :)
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:32 pm

publiclandhunter wrote: First off, I believe most patterns are too detailed and too small to sufficiently camo the human form. On a store rack up-close they look great, but at twenty-five yards hanging off the side of the tree, they tend to lose the detail and make you look like a dark form hanging on the tree...

I totally agree! I've thought this for years.

publiclandhunter wrote:The other real problem with most is cost....way too expensive for what they do.

Again, I agree. I will pay for quality clothing but not for the name.

publiclandhunter wrote: I believe that the best patterns are larger and more open with a good mixture of earth/vegetation tones and hues. They look good at not only ten-yards but also at 100-yards.

Yes!

publiclandhunter wrote: What about good "old-fashioned" plaids?

I'd hunt in it. Actually, I have.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:18 am

I am with everyone here as far as production camo and detail. I have Predator Fall Gray and Fall Brown from Gray Wolf Woolens, and ASAT camo from First Lite. I do feel these are the best camo patterns on the market though I also think that good cover and not moving are the best camo :D
I am with Magic on buying quality though. More then the pattern I bought my camo for these reasons
1. Quality and Made in the USA
2. Quiet
3. Warm without bulk
4. Wind Resistant
5. extremely water resistant
6. Gray Wolf Woolens made the stuff to fit my short pear shaped body, where no other clothing fits me right.
7. I am a cold weather wuss, warm and dry keeps me on stand in all conditions all day....and that is the single best reason for me to spend money on quality. Of course I had to sell my recording studio to buy it, but it was worth it.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 am

Yes , I think some camo is way overated ,Look at the Scent Blocker Scam camo , That was big farce !!!! I myself like the Realtree HD or just the plain Realtree Camo . We use ot make our own camo jackets and pants with a tooth brush with bleach to make white strips and designs ,light brown spray paint and greens also . Then let them dry for a few days then wash them.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:22 am

I agree with most, that the camos like ASAT and Predator are best. The Moosy oaks and big name brands are made to appeal to the hunter/consumer, more than the deer IMO. These companies try to out do each other with there fancy realistic patterns, and yeah the lool great up close, but like others, these stand out from a distance. Remember deer don't see all the same colors as we do, or even in the same wavelengths as we do.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Remember deer don't see all the same colors as we do, or even in the same wavelengths as we do.

I think this is a good point. I also agree with the comment that each camo pattern has it's time and place, and that includes flannels. I love Mossy Oak when I'm sitting in thick, dark evergreens, but would never where it in an oak unless it was really dense and green with good dark background cover. I like lighter tan patterns for late season. Desert camo works well for my area during late season.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:43 am

Cabelas TCS baby, the only way to go!! I'm a big believer in camo and anything 3 dimensionsal will out perform conventional camo. I also think shape is all too often overlooked in regards to concealing one self. When hunting off the ground you can't beat a good dead fall to break-up your shape. I also try to break-up my shape when in the tree, a hanging limb, cluster of vines, trees growing tightly together, ect. I never feel more naked than when I'm hanging off the side of a bare trunk and avoid these set-ups if possible.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 am

3dog wrote:I also think shape is all too often overlooked in regards to concealing one self. When hunting off the ground you can't beat a good dead fall to break-up your shape. I also try to break-up my shape when in the tree, a hanging limb, cluster of vines, trees growing tightly together, ect.

X2!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:40 am

To me so many camo company's are damn near the same with their designs. Kinda funny how they copy each other but at the same time are different enough so they don't get In any trouble.

I'm also a firm believe In staying away from some of the camo designs that are dark In complexion. Some of the patterns you look like a black blob a ways away. Just recently I tried a new camo out. Enigma camo to me looks outstanding. Yes the patterns are a tad on the small side but their light In color. The camo Is VERY quiet too and that right there means a ton to me as well. If your In a dark environment or light environment this camo some how adjusts with the color. It's amazing how It does this but there's no doubt that It does.

Guess what though... We were all successful In shooting animals long before the camo Industry got big. So yes I think allot of the designs out there are way overrated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”