BLOOD TRACKING TIPS: Toilet paper tracking...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

BLOOD TRACKING TIPS: Toilet paper tracking...

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I like to carry a roll of toilet paper for tracking wounded deer, bear, or other game... I use the cheap unperfumed plain white stuff.
Every few feet you drop a sheet when blood is heavy. When its scarce you mark every few feet and "last blood"...
You can look back and see the white sheets for quite a distance and really see a direction of travel or get a feel for what the deer is doing, or where its headed... You can leave the last blood and search ahead a little and still come right back to last blood if need be.
Wounded game can also run you in circles and get your sense of direction screwy with your mind on finding the deer rather than staying un-lost.
You can always follow the toilet paper right back out.
If you radio or cell phone for help tracking or dragging, the guys can go right to you by following your paper trail...

Uncle Lou

Re: BLODD TRACKING TIPS: Toilet paper tracking...

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:10 pm

When I hunt I carry toilet paper too ;)
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Also good thing about toilet paper it doesnt have to be picked up when your done, unless this is in an area you think others will be by and you want to keep secret. It takes it a while to break down. I find it during shed season on public land all the time from the fall before. Good tip Dan. You never know when you might need for its real reason either.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:When I hunt I carry toilet paper too ;)

It works better than leaves. For marking "blodd" trails that is. :lol: :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: BLOOD TRACKING TIPS: Toilet paper tracking...

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

We also use TP when tracking and like Dan says it works great. Got burned once when it snowed over night and we took up the trail the next day.

Still found the deer but with no blood and no markings from the night before a little luck was also involved.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Yep, me too. Been spreading this stuff around the woods for 30+ years.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Actually I never thought of that one...GREAT TIP THANKS! Though I always carry toilet paper.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm

I also use tp/paper towels for tracking, but something else I carry now are those small clip-on trail markers.....a lot easier to see if you are blood trailing after dark. Only thing is you have to go back and get them after you are done....no biggie.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:27 pm

I have used toilet paper or orange marker tape but what I found really works nice in addition to those is to turn on my GPS and let it do a track plot while I am walking.
If it is a long tracking job it really helps to see the path you are moving plotted on the screen. Sometimes if blood gets scarce you can easily predict where the deer is headed from looking at this especially in the dark when it's hard to keep track of what direction you are headed.
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Good tip Dan . What do you do if you got a strong wind while you are tracking ,LOL,LOL

Has anyone ever used a spray bottle of Hydrogen perioxide for blood trailing ? It works great ,foams right up on even little specks of blood . Make sure the bottle has fine spray so you cover a bigger area . We actually use it quite a bit .
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:15 am

I use wet wipes for that other purpose of toilet paper!! LOL

When marking blood trails, I use reflective trail tape; it works well and I can easily find the trail in the dark with a lantern. I always go back and pick up the tape anyway because I do not want unwanted attention in some of the areas I am hunting (don't want to litter anyway).
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:09 am

I agree !! :mrgreen:
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 am

Dan,
I learned this trick from a very experianced friend of mine a few years ago while tracking a deer that was taking way too long to drop. it worked like a charm because the blood trail got preety sparse. wel after looking back at the line of TP it was obvious where he was headed. Found him down a short time later! The other advantage is that it is biodegradable so you dont have to pick it up!
Plus it comes in handy at certin times of emergency if you know what I mean! :lol:
Great tip!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:41 am

Plus it comes in handy at certin times of emergency if you know what I mean!
Great tip!

If you use toilet paper to help my son track a bear at night the T.P. will defenatly have a second use ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 am

Ack wrote:I also use tp/paper towels for tracking, but something else I carry now are those small clip-on trail markers.....a lot easier to see if you are blood trailing after dark. Only thing is you have to go back and get them after you are done....no biggie.

Ack, I use those sometimes as well on a short trail- pretty visible day or night as they are reflective. They make them in brown as well to hide them from hunters during the daytime but they reflect light at night. Also, waving something white like TP around in the brush during gun deer season on heavy pressure public land in MidMichigan really isn't the greatest idea. :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”