How do you find his bedding area?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How do you find his bedding area?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:17 am

Can you also do a topo map of the same area... ?

Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am

I realize there isn't much to work with there. If you can't do anything with that, I understand. It's the best I can get.

The yellow line is the road you drive in to the parking area just off the map. The red line is the boundary line. Grey dots are cedars, mostly, and green dots are big cottonwoods, mostly. It extends towards the North and Northeast towards the river. It gets pretty thick in the Northeast corner. Some guys hunt there, and they get there by boat. Most guys hunt out in the middle. I don't know of anyone hunting right by the parking area, but there's a lot of deer right there. I think they just walk past all of it and don't think about hunting it because it's so close. The land is very flat. Not much grows in the cottonwoods. The open areas are full of very tall weeds. There's a few big, mature oaks, some osage trees, some mesquites mixed in with the cedars. Only consistant water is the river.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 am

dan wrote:Can you also do a topo map of the same area... ?

Best one I can do is pretty crude, and it doesn't show anything. It's flat, and there's really no features to the terrain.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:29 am

Ok... But even slight elevation changes can make a big difference.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:46 am

dan wrote:Ok... But even slight elevation changes can make a big difference.

Okay. I'll see what I can do.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:49 am

Sneaky wrote:I realize there isn't much to work with there. If you can't do anything with that, I understand. It's the best I can get.

The yellow line is the road you drive in to the parking area just off the map. The red line is the boundary line. Grey dots are cedars, mostly, and green dots are big cottonwoods, mostly. It extends towards the North and Northeast towards the river. It gets pretty thick in the Northeast corner. Some guys hunt there, and they get there by boat. Most guys hunt out in the middle. I don't know of anyone hunting right by the parking area, but there's a lot of deer right there. I think they just walk past all of it and don't think about hunting it because it's so close. The land is very flat. Not much grows in the cottonwoods. The open areas are full of very tall weeds. There's a few big, mature oaks, some osage trees, some mesquites mixed in with the cedars. Only consistant water is the river.

Good place to start looking.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 am

Here's the topo.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:29 am

Zap wrote:Good place to start looking.

marty

Yes, and I have started looking there. Someone that used to hunt there a lot tipped me off to that spot. I had already found it, but he told me how he hunted it. He also said that everyone goes right on by it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:27 am

It looks like the topo is not broke down very well in elevation differences cause its shaded like there are some slight hills in spots where lo elevation change is marked. Also, topo's usually mark timber and open as two different colors... :?:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am

Sneaky, lets just say your property is completly flat, we know it is at least very close to flat from your comments... This is not a great property for picking out bedding areas. I would have to do some spring scouting,or fall scouting in order to hunt this. I have marked the entire transition line in red... If I were to scout this area that is where I would spend at least 75% of my scouting time. I would walk this entire transition ( red lines ) and look for trails going in and out of cover, the trails don't have to be big, the huge trails you see with tons of different sized tracks are the trails made mostly by young deer. Big bucks tend to keep to themselves and have smaller less visible trails. Look for "nervous rubs" where they rub just before entering an opening. They won't always be there, but they are a good indication when they are. Most bedding should be near the transition line but pressure or better bedding can push it back. Follow the buck sign back and try to find the beds. They may be in the high grass, they may be in the woods. I would be very suspect of bushes or small tree patches growing out in the high grass... Mature bucks in this type of environment have an uncanny way of finding the over looked spots. When walking think about where no one ever walks or looks rather than where you expect deer. Big bucks don't get big by bedding where every hunter expects them to be... Sorry I can't be more specific. Thats a tough property thats going to require some leg work.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:43 am

Dan, that helps me out a lot. I have a much better idea of what I am looking for now. I appreciate it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:40 am

Hmmm.. looks like I forgot to paste the map.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”