Another Andre' Tactical Question???

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Another Andre' Tactical Question???

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Bump em' and Dump em'! I totally get the concept, you jump a buck from his bed, get set up on him while he is out, and then be waiting for him to return the bucks first time back in before he has a chance to smell that you have been in there. Easy enough. What I don't get is the technique for doing this. I am sure you don't just go charging in or even walking lack-a-daisy in to the area where you think he is bedding. But Andre' talked about doing this on NEW property that he doesn't know in order to locate a buck. If someone who has used this technique would care to detail exactly how this is done I would be very grateful. I have jumped plenty of bedded bucks, but always by accident and usually they were 100+ yards ahead of me and I just see a flash of tail and antlers bounding over the horizon without concrete certainty exactly where he was when he was jumped.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Another Andre' Tactical Question???

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm

I think what they are saying is when you bump a shooter like you have described go in and find exactly where he was laying. Deer hair, droppings, depression, tracks, etc. After finding this spot that is when you prepare for the next mornings hunt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 22, 2010 12:09 am

Andrea sets his standards pretty high... There is usually only one buck any given property he hunts. Knowing the exact bedding spot is critical in killing the buck.
Although bucks get pretty edgy about harassment they do have to put up with hikers, farm dogs, coyotes, and wolves in some areas and often get bumped out of there beds. They will put up with a certain extent of this type of harassment. Sometimes they will put up with one bump, sometimes several, sometimes 1st bump and there gone... I often tease Andrea about his "bump em and dump em" tactic and tell him in the public marsh we call it "Bump em and never ever ever see them again" but to be honest, it has sometimes worked here too.
There are ways to make it work better too... We have two definitions of a "bump". A hard bump is when you aggressively push a buck from his bed with the intent of him relocating to a new spot. A soft bump is where you move him, but try not to scare the crap out of him.
To soft bump a deer, a person does not want to walk directly towards the animal. Angles make it appear to the animal that your just passing by. Also, when the deer stands or trots off don't stop walking make it appear as though you could care less what the deer does. On andreas property they are used to atv's occasionally crossing the property so he will sometimes cruise past a buck bedding area with the ATC and see what gets up...
Timing is important too... Really, its probably thee most important thing in bump and dump hunting... Bucks should be bumped about an hour before dark, or just before they normally get to there feet... The reason for this is because a deer that is bumped just before he would normally get up is more likely to just go about his normal night time routine after settling back down. Then at the end of the night he just goes back to the same old bed out of habit... When bumped early in the day they will head to another bedding area, then there is a good chance they will bed in the new spot rather than the spot you bumped them from.
It should also be said that Andrea usually knows these bedding areas pretty well, it is not a good idea to get scent near the bed or near the entrance rought you suspect the buck will use. Its important for the buck to believe the bump just wandered through. If he hints human scent on his way to the bed, he will likely turn tail...
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Good Stuff.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:05 pm

I really want D'Acquisto to write a book!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 am

publiclandhunter wrote:I really want D'Acquisto to write a book!

PLH

He is planning too...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:39 am

dan wrote:

PLH

He is planning too...

8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 am

dan wrote:

PLH

He is planning too...

Maybe you guys could do it together, the two of you would write the best informative book about whitetail hunting ever!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:54 am

Thats a dream of his I wouldn't want to infringe upon... One day maybe I will do my own book ;)
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:37 am

Dan,

Start working on it now....it will take a long time and you will have many revisions as you go. You have to chew on that thing one bite at a time. I will buy a couple of copies....autographed of course! Google - self publishing - on the internet. That is the route I am taking.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 am

I like what I'm hearing!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 am

I had to resurrect this thread simply to cast my vote and support of Dan doing a book. Andrae as well. I would buy them instantly!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:35 am

xpauliber wrote:I had to resurrect this thread simply to cast my vote and support of Dan doing a book. Andrae as well. I would buy them instantly!

Put me down for a couple copies! :)
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 am

dan wrote:Andrea sets his standards pretty high... There is usually only one buck any given property he hunts. Knowing the exact bedding spot is critical in killing the buck.
Although bucks get pretty edgy about harassment they do have to put up with hikers, farm dogs, coyotes, and wolves in some areas and often get bumped out of there beds. They will put up with a certain extent of this type of harassment. Sometimes they will put up with one bump, sometimes several, sometimes 1st bump and there gone... I often tease Andrea about his "bump em and dump em" tactic and tell him in the public marsh we call it "Bump em and never ever ever see them again" but to be honest, it has sometimes worked here too.
There are ways to make it work better too... We have two definitions of a "bump". A hard bump is when you aggressively push a buck from his bed with the intent of him relocating to a new spot. A soft bump is where you move him, but try not to scare the crap out of him.
To soft bump a deer, a person does not want to walk directly towards the animal. Angles make it appear to the animal that your just passing by. Also, when the deer stands or trots off don't stop walking make it appear as though you could care less what the deer does. On andreas property they are used to atv's occasionally crossing the property so he will sometimes cruise past a buck bedding area with the ATC and see what gets up...
Timing is important too... Really, its probably thee most important thing in bump and dump hunting... Bucks should be bumped about an hour before dark, or just before they normally get to there feet... The reason for this is because a deer that is bumped just before he would normally get up is more likely to just go about his normal night time routine after settling back down. Then at the end of the night he just goes back to the same old bed out of habit... When bumped early in the day they will head to another bedding area, then there is a good chance they will bed in the new spot rather than the spot you bumped them from.
It should also be said that Andrea usually knows these bedding areas pretty well, it is not a good idea to get scent near the bed or near the entrance rought you suspect the buck will use. Its important for the buck to believe the bump just wandered through. If he hints human scent on his way to the bed, he will likely turn tail...

Dan do you find that when you bump them and "never see them again" it is in areas with high pressure or areas with many other good bedding spots nearby? If I bump a buck in an area with crappy bedding except the spot he seems to be hidden in, is he more likely to return than if he had many other very good spots nearby? Or is the amount of predator/human pressure more to blame for bucks relocating and tolerating less harassment?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:19 am

I would also be interested in a copy of those books....
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”