Gas prices starting to affect your scouting?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Gas prices starting to affect your scouting?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:34 am

Here we go again, eh guys? I've got some trips coming up where it is well over a hundred miles each way to scout, and I'm not looking forward to the fuel expense. Tomorrow, I'll be scouting a lot closer to home. These gas prices are once again getting serious! :?

jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:38 am

Im headed to OH to scout next weekend, its 5.5 hours one way. Its going to take me two full tanks to get there and back. Roughly $100 scouting trip.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 am

It will soon be warm enough for me to ride my motorcycle more often. It holds 5 gal but the light kicks on with 2 gal left so it costs me about $10 to fill it from when I consider it empty. I can commute to work on that for 4 days and its not a pappy bike either it runs like a raped ape. The best part is I can really weed out bad drivers and make excellent time without really riding insane.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 am

When I was a teen (not that long ago!) my dad had a number of vehicles, but one was a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel- 55 mpg... man I'd love to have that scouting machine now!
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am

Definitely going to make the most of each scouting trip, take an extra day etc as I travel 3-5 hours depending which spot in N. Wis or N. Minn. Ouch! My out west trip will hurt a little more now.
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 pm

its not going to affect my local scouting but i have two farms in southern Ohio down by Coshocton that i was planning on shed hunting and scouting that is not going to get done. i will put that trip off till summer when i will go down and hang stands, cut shooting lanes and be ready for the pre-rut.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 pm

It hasn't effected mine yet, mostly because there is so much public land within 30 minutes each way of my my place. I am very fortunate there. It may effect the distance I drive this fall to hunt, but I hope not.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:27 pm

I got my bear tag this year and am gonna need to get another p/t job to pay for gas. I'm hope to be able to pick up a few lawns to cut and a few sie jobs like that...I'm trying to stay away from a schedule. I'd like to work on my schedule, not someone else's.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:35 pm

$4 gas is the reason my hunting vehicle is my wife's hand-me-down Chevy Malibu (30+ mpg) and the reason I got rid of my Jeep when the wife needed to upgrade family vehicles.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 am

Gas prices effect everything not just transportation. Everything gets bumped up except your wages.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:03 am

Time to get a camo Prius.

Family obligations more than anything have cramped my scouting. Fortunately lots of my ground is able to be scouted with low impact in season scouting, that's sorta how I approached everything the past few years.

gas prices will keep me only running trail cameras, which I fine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I drive 70 miles one way to work....I dont give what I spend for scouting a second thought.

I use to have time and no money....now I have money and no time. Go figure, lol!!!!

Time is what holds me back and I have to manage closely.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:44 am

I've been driving a 2 hour round trip to my stomping grounds every weekend. I don't see that changing any time soon. I will just have to make some sacrifices elsewhere.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:54 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:I drive 70 miles one way to work....I dont give what I spend for scouting a second thought.

I use to have time and no money....now I have money and no time. Go figure, lol!!!!

Time is what holds me back and I have to manage closely.

I feel the exact same way. 50 miles one way to work for me :cry:
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Drove the five hours to Ohio this past weekend...between motel, gas, and food...the costs added up to about $300 for two of us Fri-Sun. Darn sure we made good use of our time...we walked 16.6 miles in a day and a half through the muck, mud, and cut corn fields that haven't been turned, all the while in 35 mph sustained winds and sideways rain. Set up a few spots for stands when we return in the fall.

Being able to plan a weekend out of state is hard to do with two families involved...so when the weekend was circled..it was it come or high water...and gas prices right went up as if Murphy was listening to our plans.

I've been out scouting 6 times locally, but that does add up as I can't spend a full day doing it most times. I've got about 3-4 more days where I can sneak in some scouting time....that'll be another $100 in gas. About the only thing I need hunting wise in the near future is some turkey loads....and I'm sticking to it to keep costs down.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”