Most common mistakes...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

uncleron

Re: Most common mistakes...

Unread postby uncleron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm

I agree with deer slayer, how guys access their spots is proabaly #1 by far.

Another common mistake is not taking advantage of an opportunity when it knocks. Like not moving to a different spot when the deer/sign tells you to. Sometimes 40-50 yards makes all the difference.
Last edited by uncleron on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Overhunting stand
Not taking enough scent control measures
Not staying on stand long enough
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Hunter74 wrote:Relying on the rut and spending day after day year after year in a funnel hoping a big buck will walk through it

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hunting the rut is hardly a mistake.....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Hunter74 wrote:Relying on the rut and spending day after day year after year in a funnel hoping a big buck will walk through it

i agree 100%
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

BigHunt wrote:

i agree 100%

Where's the mistake here? Hunting the rut? Or sitting in a funnel?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Spysar wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

i agree 100%

I think this tactic provides success imo-during chasing buck beds are the last place i would be....maybe some doe bedding but travel corridors are where it is at when every deer is on its feet.

Repeating anything without success or REASON to expect it is foolish...so I guess th ehypothetical pinch point isnt the best one around. :lol:

I think not playing the wind- entry- no optics- a lack of practicing or trimming out stands should be on the list of how not to succeed
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Spysar wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

i agree 100%

Hunting the rut isn't the mistake.. it can be a good time to hunt if your lucky enough to be in area where the mature deer will cruse during daylight.. I'm not that lucky... I was saying its a mistake to soully rely on the rut and rut tactics for success...

straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:14 pm

1. Entry and exit routes.
2. Over hunting stands
3. Hunting on the wrong wind....because it "could work" if the come at the right angle.
4. Scouting the day before the season.

I'm guilty of each.
Bobby G
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Not having the right people around you.

Both a matter of moving away from people around you that are not like minded, that aren't on the same page, are not constructive, don't have respect for the purity of the hunt.

And then contrast that to the formation of positive, constructive alliances, where there are shared passions and what that means in terms of your belief system and level of commitment. You feed off each other, check each others premises, raise the bar, really squeeze the nectar out of it.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:02 am

gjs4 wrote:
I think this tactic provides success imo-during chasing buck beds are the last place i would be

Actually the mature buck beds are where I would be during this. The mature ones aren't the ones typically doing alot of the day time movement. Hunting their bed is what gives you a at them during the rut because it typically gets them on their feet with enough light to shoot. Mature bucks do most of their searching during the night not daylight. I would consider this like a week of good moon days to hunt and evening stand early season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

Buckfever wrote:Not having the right people around you.

Both a matter of moving away from people around you that are not like minded, that aren't on the same page, are not constructive, don't have respect for the purity of the hunt.

And then contrast that to the formation of positive, constructive alliances, where there are shared passions and what that means in terms of your belief system and level of commitment. You feed off each other, check each others premises, raise the bar, really squeeze the nectar out of it.

Good post most people don't think about the people they surround themselves with. Negativity and underhandedness can really bring a person down. If you surround yourself with positive influence you project that. Your mind stays right and focused. I think most people are on this site because of that, people here have their mind right and stay focused.

JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:07 am

JRM6868 wrote:
gjs4 wrote:
I think this tactic provides success imo-during chasing buck beds are the last place i would be

Actually the mature buck beds are where I would be during this. The mature ones aren't the ones typically doing alot of the day time movement. Hunting their bed is what gives you a Chance at them during the rut because it typically gets them on their feet with enough light to shoot. Mature bucks do most of their searching during the night not daylight. I would consider this like a week of good moon days to hunt and evening stand early season.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:46 am

Buckfever wrote:Not having the right people around you.

Good post. What goes in, comes out.

It's hard to learn something from someone that knows less than you do, or at your own level. Experience is the best teacher but listenin to those that get the job done better than you makes the learnin curve a little sharper.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:17 am

I will use myself for example since I am "most guys" in regards to screwing up on mature bucks.....my number 1 issue I've had to correct over the years when hunting deer in general.....

entry to my stand.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am

virginiashadow wrote:I will use myself for example since I am "most guys" in regards to screwing up on mature bucks.....my number 1 issue I've had to correct over the years when hunting deer in general.....

entry to my stand.

Good point entry and exit is as important as the stand location itself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”