How long do you wait?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How long do you wait?

Unread postby dan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:36 pm

Of course we would rather use a "sharp" broadhead.... You want great penetration with little deflection. Just saying a ripped hole will bleed more.

UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu May 27, 2010 1:42 pm

dan wrote:Of course we would rather use a "sharp" broadhead.... You want great penetration with little deflection. Just saying a ripped hole will bleed more.

Wow this thread is really go in circles for me! :) Dan your allways trying to turn the world upside down, but Dude the deer that I have shot, and all the others of tracked for others I would say about 96% were found and most of the time there was a wait involved, and they were (at least mine- my brother is known for reuseing broadheads without replaceing blades- poor yooper) with sharp blades. I may try pushing deer a little more this year but, waiting is something that has worked well for me, and I'm a traditional guy who is ok doing things the way most have done it before as long as it has worked for me. I honestly love tracking deer, but honestly can say that if we practice hard all year most are very short and the crash happens within sight. I have never looked at things the way your saying it before but it seems to me that the one thing a mortaly wounded animal doesent have much of is time, and alot of the critters that I have tracked seem to want to get in cover and lay up, where most then dont get up. Most times the deer that I have not found where deer that were pushed, after being in one of these beds.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm

Most of the time I'm sure of a good shot so I go right away. But, with caution and very quiet. If I see and sign that the shot may not have been good I give them time. The only time I would push a deer would be if I didn't hit organs. My only chance would be to keep them moving so the blood keeps flowing.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 27, 2010 2:11 pm

Most times the deer that I have not found where deer that were pushed, after being in one of these beds.

Exactly... But that just might be cause you waited before tracking. ;)
Really, if they are hit good enough to die within the 30 to 60 minutes you wait, pushing them will not make one difference in finding the deer.
Its the ones that are not hit thru a vital organ that it makes a difference on... Of the deer you lost, just like the ones I have lost, I would be willing to bet the blood trail really petered out after the deer bedded fort a while, calmed down, and clotted up... ;)
my brother is known for reuseing broadheads without replaceing blades
Im known for that myself... No reason to replace a still sharp blade.

Dan your allways trying to turn the world upside down

Its not like I make this stuff up... I think the biggest difference in me is that I never really had hunting mentors as a kid and did not learn bad habits that were passed down over the years. I learned from trial and error... Beyond what I have learned on the blood trails, its just medical fact that a pushed animal will bleed more and faster with less healing then one sitting idle nursing its wound.

I would say about 96% were found and most of the time there was a wait involved
Of that 96% how many do you really believe you would of lost if you tracked immediately? I have pretty good percentages on my shots too... Its the other 4% I am talking about.
If you shoot a deer in the front leg and wait an hour to track, I am saying the odds of that deer surviving or dyeing days later from infection go up.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Thu May 27, 2010 8:00 pm

Dan, I am gonna have to disagree on one point here. A true "razor" sharp blade is going to be the slowest to clot, where a jagged edge will clot faster. Simple analogy, how many of you have had a razor cut while shaving that just wouldn't quit bleeding? A razor cut is so smooth that clots have a difficult time finding a surface to bind to, whereas a jagged edge provides that. I am not in any way advocating dull blades, obviously this is a good thing for us, and another reason to keep those blades factory sharp!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 am

You may be right on the razor cut... I am just basing it on my 1st responder calls and personal cuts. It always seemed to me that a nice clean cut you could push back together and it would heal up really fast. But I could be wrong... Goob, you work in the medical field, don't you?
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri May 28, 2010 1:06 am

I remember a young buck I shot behind the liver that I backed out from that night. Had to work first shift next morning, after work got on the trail. I found exactly 12 drops of blood on the trail, the only reason I found them is because watched the deer closely walk off. When I got to about 100 found him in a bed, went to gut him he was warm between the legs, and this was November. 24 hours after the shot this deer stil had a warm groin, he couldn't have died to many hours before I found him, we both know if I would have pushed that buck the night before he would have ran and then those specks I found may have been much harder to find fell on things like moss or bark and not good ol leaves. This deer followed the rules that a got shot deer will bed within 150 yards and will die in that bed if given time. At our camp in Michigan your rules of jumping right on a deer could have some yank with me though we have lost a few deer to wolves, and yotes by letting them lay over night. I want to understand what your saying Dan but, and I understand the adreniline thing being a blood thinner, but I just dont understand how a good shot on a deer will change if I jump now or wait, most will be dead in 50 yards so you couldn't get down and on them fast enough anyway, but in a case of the young buck I explaind I beleive pushing him in the dark to get him to bleed or die would have only saved my back from not having to drag him off that mountain.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 28, 2010 1:20 am

I beleive pushing him in the dark to get him to bleed or die would have only saved my back from not having to drag him off that mountain

I agree, a deer shot in guts or liver you should wait over night. I would not of pushed that deer either. I never said you should push that type of hit.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri May 28, 2010 1:49 am

I would think it would be more likely with a sharp broadhead than a dull one? A clean razor slice would clot back together a lot faster than a ripped hole...

Nope, not true!
Also, a sharp edge will cut while a dull head will pass through without cutting a small portion of material the blade comes in contact with resulting in less damage.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 28, 2010 2:21 am

a dull head will pass through without cutting a small portion of material the blade comes in contact with resulting in less damage

I would have to agree with that... I would have to think an artery could stretch around a dull object rather than slice in some cases.
I was not saying a dull head would be better to hunt with. Just thinking a ripped hole would bleed more than a sliced hole. I might be wrong on that... I am going to ask one of the veteran paramedics that teaches our emergancy response team and see what he says.
UPbowhunter

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Fri May 28, 2010 4:37 am

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here, I'm really trying to understand this, so no gut shots, no liver shots, proceed like this, but if it's shot any where else proceed fast, and push. Most other hits deer would be down and dead by the time you got down from tree with the exception of a one lung, or high low hits, so I guess this is making some sense. If your arrow smells and has matter on it, give time. If your arrow has dark blood give time, good lung blood proceed now, and anything else proceed now. Throw in a little common sense and reveiw your minds eye of how the shot went down a few times and I guess how this may be helpful Dan. My thing is there is hundreds of thousands of deer tracked with the rules we have be going by for years, every year why change. But if there is a few more deer found than not by the old rules its worth trying to look at better ways.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 28, 2010 6:25 am

First buck I ever shot with a bow, from a treestand 14' at 23 yards.

I say he ducked, and spun around :) .

Shot him thru the neck.

Arrow just had blood on the fletchings.

Real good blood trail at the arrow.

Followed 250 yards to a place he laid down, pool of blood.

Called a buddy to help.

The deer was headed to a road, so I went back and got the truck.
Found the blood crossing the trail and waited for my buddy.

We backtracked to show him the trail from the beginning, found clotted blood that had pushed out after I jumped him.

Started tracking.

Found another place he bedded, more clotted blood right after that.

Same thing one more time.

Then we found the buck.

One and a half miles.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri May 28, 2010 7:10 am

ZAP, HOW DID YOU ADJUST YOUR FONT TO BE SIZE 72? Wish your posts didn't take a whole page to spit out a couple sentences, but on a brighter note, I do enjoy reading what you have to say - so don't be offended, I'm not even sure if the font shows up that big on anyone elses PC's??

That said, how long do I wait? I shoot when the timing is right... Guess I don't follow. If the shot presents itself, I take it. If it's a matter of 'how far' till it's reasonable, well, then I wait till' it's in range.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri May 28, 2010 7:21 am

That said, how long do I wait? I shoot when the timing is right... Guess I don't follow. If the shot presents itself, I take it. If it's a matter of 'how far' till it's reasonable, well, then I wait till' it's in range.

Sam.. The question was how long after you shoot the deer do you wait before tracking.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri May 28, 2010 8:24 am

I agree 100%. If it is a vital hit, I pack up my gear and climb down right away, and start tracking. If it is questionable I still climb down to look for first blood, depending on blood I will continue traking, if hes not dead and you bump him, them Ill give it some time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”