Thwacking Doe's

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: Thwacking Doe's

Unread postby Zap » Fri May 14, 2010 5:40 am

:)

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri May 14, 2010 7:54 am

Larry Hunts penned inclosures???? That's sickening.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri May 14, 2010 7:58 am

Indianahunter wrote:Larry Hunts penned inclosures???? That's sickening.

One time he was hunting TimberGhost outfitters in SE Iowa, they have a ton of penned enclosures ranging from 20 acres up to a couple hundred. They also have free range leases but from the amount of gigantic bucks he saw I'd have to lean towards a penned enclosure.

I cannot 100% verify anything though, but I wouldn't point a finger without some bit of actual info. I always google the "ranches" or "outfitters" on celebs I cannot stand, lots of times they're medium to high fence locations.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri May 14, 2010 9:15 am

That's sad. I guess statistical data would be a little different if the herd you are managing is in an enclosure. Who knows. Thwack away or don't thwack away I guess. Well I am batting a thousand in inaccurate posts. : (
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 am

I see nothing wrong with this post Indiana... I find the subject matter interesting.... 10 years ago I was whacking large numbers of does and really enjoying it. But with the free unlimited doe tags here the numbers have dropped to much to justify it.
As far as Larry goes, I have not heard much about "penned" hunts with him... But I don't pay much attention anyway. But in Texas a lot of the hunting is behind fences and its pretty much considered acceptable. The acreage is much more though than what most would perceive.
To each there own... I do agree though, fenced or not, Larrys deer behavior observations come off of land that is very different from what most of us hunt.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 am

I love shooting does and am fortunate to have a healthy deer population where I hunt, and I agree it is solely on the population where you are hunting as to how you manage the doe herd.

As for Larry, I don't think he is accurate in his 5/1 ratio, I have also heard many times that the ratio is closer to 1 to 1 and is dependant on populations and habitat (it would seem mother nature has her way of balancing things all on her own).

Years ago the QDMA said you should kill every doe you see as there will be 3 more that you don't........wonder what thier stance is now in the majority of Wi? :roll:
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm

I haven't been fortunate enough to be in an area where I was able to shoot as many does as I want. I guess I have always looked at the land I hunt and if there were not a lot of deer I wouldn't "slaughter" them out cause someone said to, or for my own personal greed. I believe in leaving this land better than I found it /JMO.

I always liked watching the Iowa videos (Drury's, Kiski's, Lakowski's) and seeing tons of deer in their fields, mostly does, but some really nice bucks and thinking how a lot of people say to have big bucks you have to shoot all the does, it makes me laugh, guess I just don't believe that philosophy. I've seen them do doe management though. Don't get me wrong, I think does have to be taken out of the herd, but like it has been stated here, in Wisconsin, where EAB has been going on for awhile, the herd is decimated in a lot of areas.

I have been following QDMA for a long time now and guess I never really heard them recommend shooting all the does you see? I could be wrong though? I do know for a long time, and I still even hear it today, that people think that in QDM, you don't shoot any does and only shoot "trophy" bucks. Not what I've ever heard :roll:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 17, 2010 1:27 am

I always liked watching the Iowa videos (Drury's, Kiski's, Lakowski's) and seeing tons of deer in their fields, mostly does, but some really nice bucks and thinking how a lot of people say to have big bucks you have to shoot all the does, it makes me laugh, guess I just don't believe that philosophy.

I agree 100%... More deer, more big bucks. As long as there is enough food to support them, and the balance ain't way out of whack the more the merrier...
Andrea let me hunt his Illinois lease a few years ago and I could not believe the sheer numbers of deer. I had probably over 200 within sight in one sit at one time. Something spooked them and the stampede back into the woods left a 10 minute dust cloud :lol: If 3Dog sees this post he can comment cause he was filming for me.
It was not a balanced herd however, and there was certainly over browsing going on, but guess what? Andrea was shooting booners and filming multiple Booners on that small 200 acre farm every year...
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Please let me make myself clear. I nor my Dad or my hunting buddy shoot every doe we see. We try and shoot two a piece per year, that is the goal. We have lots and lots of does on our property and I don't care who or what expert would tell me there is no way I would shoot every doe we see. Last year we harvested 5 does in all and seen probably 100+ throughout the season. There wouldn't be very many little bucks born each spring if we took all of them out. One thing that was mentioned that is Key is population vs. Food and cover. If you are hunting a 100 acre piece of land then you can't shoot a ton of does. As most people on here hunt large public properties I thought I would post this as a heads up to make sure you are helping the management process by taking does also and not just bucks. Private property is different then public as you can get a real feel for how many deer are on your property over the course of a few seasons. Large public tracts 5000+ acres are usually poorly managed by State DNRs where the goal is simply kill deer. The few guys I know personally that hunt public land refuse to shoot does there waiting on the buck of their dreams. I think that is mistake as well in Indiana anyway. Like I said before I hope the DNR never inacts the land management tactics you guys have in Wisconsin virtually wiping out your doe population. You have to use your own judgment based on your property.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Mon May 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Indianahunter wrote: The few guys I know personally that hunt public land refuse to shoot does there waiting on the buck of their dreams. I think that is mistake as well in Indiana anyway. Like I said before I hope the DNR never inacts the land management tactics you guys have in Wisconsin virtually wiping out your doe population. You have to use your own judgment based on your property.

You are right, you don't want it like it is here in Wisconsin. Hopefully you guys can keep the herd in check over there. ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”