Am I Crazy

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
Zap

Re: Am I Crazy

Unread postby Zap » Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

At least they aint sayin "your wrong". :lol:

marty

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 am

I can hunt both private and public. The main private land I hunt is owned by my father in law. I have a lot of pressure to deal with. I have first dibs on bow hunting it, but him being a farmer and a non hunter, doesn't relize the effects of letting bird hunters (grouse, pheasants, fall turkey, ducks and geese) Coon hunters, coyote hunters, etc. Then he lets his son and friends gun hunt it. They have a cabin in the middle of the woods, that they spend all gun season in drinking and partying all night long. They manage to even shoot a few deer once and a while. I also have a lease with three other guys, but they insist on running bait piles. So I try to hunt before them and around them. Talk about pressure. I prefer public to private as well.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 am

I have the luxury of hunting Private Land that is in very close proximity of alot of public land. The pressure from the public land helps me out. ;)
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 am

I would get bored to death hunting the standard 100 private acres over and over. That being said I would love to own my own private land one day. I will hunt it at the right times and not overdo it. I will still hunt public land until I feel the time is right to hunt the private. I love the fact that I have around 45,000 acres of public land to hunt. Sure it is a challenge, but it has made me the hunter I am today, one that is full of optimism and a guy who knows he has so much to learn in the deer woods that is not even funny. I have not been tricked into thinking I am one heck of a hunter because I have nailed a P@Y class buck every year on private land. I have been humbled to the core over the past 18 years hunting public land here in Virginia.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 am

Yes, you have lost your mind......but so have the rest of us and that is why we are on this site. We yearn for a bigger challenge that mature deer bring us. With that said, so does the public-land experience. Very challenging and rewarding.

Go get em!

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:48 am

I enjoy the experience of hunting big woods. I know my numbers and rack size would be bigger if I hunted different areas but the big woods draws me and I opt for the experience over the other. Though shooting a big one is my ultimate goal the hunt is just as important.
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am

Magic,

I am feeling the same way the older I get. Give me midwest corn country with a dozen sightings per-day and some big bucks lurking and I would trade it for a deep wilderness setting with the wind singing in the spruces and a gnarly old hog-bodied buck hiding on some deep ridge.

Just disliking running into hunters more and more each season. Not just any hunters, but I am seeing more and more hunters with no consideration for others and it definitely hurts the experience for me. I guess you could say I am enjoying the "hunt" more than the kill these days, so the wilderness type hunts cleanse my soul. Don't need to "kill" one to call it a good hunt.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Don't need to "kill" one to call it a good hunt.

Funny, thats kinda where I am at to... I really don't feel like I have anything I need to prove anymore. Sometimes its more fun to stick a friend or a kid in a good situation and let them get a crack. And rather than hunt the same old proven spots, I really find enjoyment out of figuring out new areas, and more into the adventure, than the kill.
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:42 am

Always good to have options Keb. Too easy to over hunt a private land buck especially on small acreage. I think most hunters have a score or standard of size where they say shoot or pass so if you put in enough time scouting then you can hunt the public land shooter bucks without over pressuring any of them.
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 am

I hunt some private but spend most time on county forest land. There is just a special feeling of having thousands of acres available. You are always scouting new ground with the optimism of finding another great set up.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am

bump
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 am

You aren't crazy but I would rather hunt private land than public. Do you feel the same way, 4 years later?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Yes, I feel the same way but much smarter and my wall is filling up some. I'm not playing the games to access private ground, I would rather do my thing and have fun, I seen way bigger deer on public land anyway.

When I am physically unable to hunt like a savage, I will look into some private stuff, but for know I'm doing better than I ever have.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Even added a stickbow into the equation sucker for punishment I guess.

keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 pm

It's deer hunting, but mule deer, I just applied for my colorado deer tag. Going on an alpine DIY solo public land hunt for 2 weeks hunting velvet monarchs above treeline at 11,500, they say it will make you or break you both mentally and physically and getting stickbow close to one in the alpine tundra is going to be hard.

So we shall see after that trip, I will either come back wearing a diaper or earn my mountain badge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”