Would you take the shot?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Would you take the shot? ( read story below )

YES
3%
NO
97%
MAYBE
No votes

Total votes: 29
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Would you take the shot?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 am

Too much can go wrong with just shooting one... Getting both with one arrow willikely result in one getting wouded or suffering before death.

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:27 am

I wouldn't do it with my setup. Not enough energy to even consider it. My arrow often doesn't even stick in the ground after a pass through. Usually it just dribbles out the other side and lays flat on the ground even with no shoulders.

If a guy was shooting a modern fast bow putting up high KE (arrow stuck after going through both deer), I can't imagine the thought not at least going through his mind. Remember he said that he planned on passing them until they walked side by side. Maybe in the heat of the moment, he couldn't resist, even if afterwards he was like, "Man, what was I thinking? I got lucky on this one".

I think the biggest problem is, like others have said, not being able to see where that arrow will hit on the second deer. You don't really know if it's front leg is forward or back, etc. You'd almost have to aim for the exit on the second one, and then adjust your focus to make sure that particular point of aim would still go clean through the first one. And of course that isn't possible with 100% certainty.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 am

I certainly would not try to do that...but if it happened it would be cool. I have enough trouble getting 1 deer out, Do not think I would want to have to go back in for another..I think this guy got very lucky he did not wound one of them.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 am

I wouldn't even humor the idea and I actually have questions about this guy for even attempting it. Not with a bow, Not with a gun. Unless you are rocking some barrett .50.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 am

i would not take the shot. too much could go wrong and the chances of a non fatal are high.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:02 am

that'd be a negative for me..
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 am

That is definitely not a repsonsible shot. Too many variables can affect the arrow when it passes through a deer.

In example, I shot a doe Friday night - broadside at 30 yards. I made a good shot, but the arrow entered the chest cavity a little farther back than I wanted (4"ish), but it still should have a double lung. When I recovered the doe, I realized that the arrowed deflected off of a rib on the entry. I ended up catching one lung, liver and guts. The arrow ended up existing through the gut and caught her back leg! This was a good broadside shot that looked like an extreme quartering to shot upon the recovery.
"In the deed, the glory"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 am

I would never take that shot. Arrows do weird things sometimes going in one deer more less two and you have no control going into another deer. Completely unethical in my opinion and nothing but a display of arrogance in my eyes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:32 am

I like to consider myself rational. I only shoot 56 lbs so I don't have the grunt, desire, ambition to kill two deer with one arrow.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:15 am

:naughty: nope
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:21 am

whats the point?? some people....
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 am

That's got slob hunter written all over it! It is reducing an animal to an experiment or contest for no valid reason. NO is my answer!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Josh

Unread postby Josh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:15 am

No! That just sounds silly to me, I think I will just leave it at that :mrgreen:
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm

No
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 pm

tough call....gonna go out on a limb and say that i dont want or delibrately try to cause uneccesary pain to animals, but if that happens to be what happens, i wont beat myself up over it...its nature..heck of alot better than getting eaten alive by a pack of yotes. that being said if the animals were lined up in such a way that it was absoultey perfect, i would attempt it..shooting 350 gr. arrows with slick trick head off a mathews drenalin pullin 70#...i think it would do the trick..but it would have to be absolutely perfect and that being said i would think i would have to be on the ground.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”