Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Best method for squirrels?

Total votes: 0
tresleggos

Re: Squirrel hunting??

Unread postby tresleggos » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 am

ive had the most success just sitting and waiting, from my experience from hunting squirrels if your going for a walk and stalk they will here you and spook and get in a tree and hide before you are aware of them.....my two cents
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm

tresleggos wrote:ive had the most success just sitting and waiting, from my experience from hunting squirrels if your going for a walk and stalk they will here you and spook and get in a tree and hide before you are aware of them.....my two cents

Im with Eric on this one this is the exact same experiences I have had while hunting them little tree rats.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm with you guys. Look at all the Sqirrels you see while your sitting in your stand.
Not if your sitting in a swamp though! They get annoying sometimes. I may need to do some squirrel management.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Sitting and waiting for me! Shoot one then let everything settle down and do it again ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 pm

I actually have better luck slowly stalking through the woods for squirrels, sitting and waiting can work well, but you still have to move once you shoot one or two as there are no more in the area.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 am

Last year I went squirrel hunting for the first time in many years and had a blast. It brought back a lot of memories ad reminded me of peaceful and more laid back hunting. I usually will sit tight in a hickory of walnut grove until I hear one jumping, or cutting and then I try and sneak a little closer, so I guess mine is a combination of both. P.S. Go to the equipment forum if you have advice on a new .22
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:11 am

You forgot to add "Dog".
I had a mutt that was just nuts about squirrell hunting. I would just sit and wait or move slowly until Charlie would bark. I would run over to him and shoot the squirrell. I would skin gut and quarter the squirrell and put it in a ziploc bag. Many times Charlie would be barking again before I was done cleaning.
A pic of my dog and pet crow "clyde"
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Now that is cool. I have heard of people hunting squirrels with dogs, I think that would be a blast.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:49 am

I have always had my best luck sitting and waiting. But like the slow stalking method too. I really miss squirrel hunting...haven't done it in quite a while.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:34 am

Last weekend at the house in Rhinelander for a ice fishing weekend and went outside for an early morning cig before the rest of the "boys" awoke. Couldn't belive the number of red squirrels running around........must be mating season. In the past had a problem with them in the attached garage but we pulled all the bird seed out but they still like the garage for some reason.

Anyway, having the smoke and one of the reds runs out of the garage, must have been in there all night, I'm like that's it.

Run to the gun cabinet and pull out my old .22 winchester pump and a handfull of shells. Back outside one jumps out of my truck parked in the driveway! (left the door open grabbing the smokes) So I get him right away.

Light another smoke and lean against the truck......before the smoke was done had (4) more. One too far out to walk thru the snow to get and missed (2) more.....one was a creamer shot, must of had red squirrel fever.

Sunday morning tried the same trick but the sun wasn't out as much and only saw (3) but way too far to shoot. Rat traps are now set in the garage.......see how many more i get.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:11 am

good job getting em out of there, Hodag. I've got red and white oak trees everywhere around my home. You can't get rid of the squirrels, I've tried. If you take out 20 of them, the surrounding neighborhoods expand and 20 more show up. Great squirrel hunting! Now, if I could find a spot with big bucks like that.... :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”