Do you guys get nervous?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you get nervous when shooting a big buck?

Yes. Before the shot.
37%
After the shot
56%
No. not at all
7%

Total votes: 160
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Re: Do you guys get nervous?

Unread postby wappkid » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:32 pm

I marked that I got nervous. But I don't get nervous i get excited.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm

I go into a zone and focus on nothing but the kill zone once i decide it is a deer I wanna kill. After the shot I lose it and go into a full body shake. Kinda funny actually and I hope that feeling never goes away. When it does it's time to hang it up.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:09 pm

I get worked up no doubt. I'm also getting worse I believe. lol!
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:08 pm

I do a little and it all happens pretty fast for me. I do get nervous right away when I see any deer I am about to clip really. Only times I know I am going to shoot though, weird. But that only last for a very short moment and I concentrate and gather my wits ver fast. That took some focused training and experiences to do that. After the shot, I have a very brief moment of the shakes, but again, I get it back together pretty quick. After the shot it is way more physical than before. The day I lose that little rush and start treating a kill like getting a cup of coffee, I think I will quit chasing.

The first deer I ever shot at I was 12 and remember shaking like I had hypothermia before the shot. After the shot there were no nerves because I would have missed a pickup truck at 15 yards, Just pissed off. :lol:
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:15 pm

I don't call it nervous. But I do get a heathy dose of adrenaline when I see a buck I might shoot. My heart pounds, and I have to take breaths. Yes, sometimes I have to tell myself to calm down, it's only a deer. Hope I never lose that feeling.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:19 am

If a deer is getting close or coming my way my heart speeds up and I do get excited but I keep my cool. I don't shake or anything......until I see that arrow pass through the deer. After the shot I usually fall apart, shakes, and aI high dose of adrenaline.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 am

huntinnurse wrote:Heck I get nervous when I shoot a doe!!!!!! Hope that feeling never leaves!!!!!!

[wave=blue]X2![/wave]
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:56 am

Most times I get cranked up,some times I don't. If I have been hunting a lot and not getting opportunities I find that I am more excited if an opportunity arises.
I also find that if it is cold and my body is tense from the cold I am more prone to get excited or nervous.It's like I am close to shivering any way and the additional excitement sends it over the top.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:34 am

Scot wrote:Most times I get cranked up,some times I don't. If I have been hunting a lot and not getting opportunities I find that I am more excited if an opportunity arises.
I also find that if it is cold and my body is tense from the cold I am more prone to get excited or nervous.It's like I am close to shivering any way and the additional excitement sends it over the top.

With that being said, do you think there has been a case where someone has had a acute heart attack from their heart rate being so high?

I'm a exercise physiologist, and I think it would be cool to do a study on bowhunters and max heart heart on deer sightings. I think we would be surprised by the results.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:04 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
ramblinman wrote:Like zap said! If I have watch and wait for awhile the anticipation builds, but if it happens at a steady pace I don't get as nervous, alittle heavy breathing after the shot. It's only human. The adrenaline is great. without that, half the fun is gone

Yeah If a deer holds up or takes a long time to get in range I get nervous! If they come in on a string I can hold it together and focus on the vitals. After I release the arrow though I turn to mush :lol: :lol:

What they said!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:40 am

BowtechHunting wrote:
Scot wrote:Most times I get cranked up,some times I don't. If I have been hunting a lot and not getting opportunities I find that I am more excited if an opportunity arises.

With that being said, do you think there has been a case where someone has had a acute heart attack from their heart rate being so high?

I'm a exercise physiologist, and I think it would be cool to do a study on bowhunters and max heart heart on deer sightings. I think we would be surprised by the results.

I agree that would be an interesting study. My heart rate goes way up and sometimes I am worried the deer can hear my heart pounding if it is very close! :lol:

Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:38 am

Heart Attack? Gosh I hope not! The Adrenal glands get a pretty good work out.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:06 pm

I shot my Kansas buck at 12 this season, never got worked up at all....

Watched him drop, packed up, climbed down and walked over to him.

It was kind of odd. :?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Zap wrote:I shot my Kansas buck at 12 this season, never got worked up at all....

Watched him drop, packed up, climbed down and walked over to him.

It was kind of odd. :?

very odd :confusion-confused:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I think if you have alot of deer inside twenty and are used to that you stay alot calmer...when the moment comes.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”