Bow hunting, how far will you shoot ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: Bow hunting, how far will you shoot ?

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed May 05, 2010 7:58 am

Well, I guess that is relative to your hunting experience and how you as an individual react to shooting bucks verses does. I do not get "buck fever" but do get the shakes AFTER the arrow flies on any animal, so in my case it would make no difference. But I do believe there are people with little experience that would get just as shook up over shooting at a doe or buck. ;)

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 am

lungbuster wrote:do get the shakes AFTER the arrow flies on any animal

You know, I've never been affected by "buck fever" (knock on wood) but I must confess that I get "groundhog fever" :lol: . Don't know why. It's all psychological. I won't take more than a 30 yard shot at groundhogs. Never missed one to date though.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed May 05, 2010 9:04 am

This is one of the biggest whitetails I've seen in the wild. If seeing a buck like this dosen't get your heart racing I don't know what will. I shot it at 40 yards, my furthest shot at a non wounded deer. He came into an opening and I stopped him. When he stopped my pin was right there.

I have a 20, 30 and 40 yard pin on my sights. I practice at 50 just cause it makes me better at 40. 40 is about my limit on a non wounded deer. After that I feel that no matter how great you shoot, the speed of sound goes faster than your arrow. Any animal can react in a split second. The animals movement can be greater the longer the arrow is in the air.

Most of my deer are shot much closer. Most of my spots are tight and I can't shoot that far if I wanted to. My furthest shot on a deer I had already hit was 55 yards.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 pm

If I have bee practicing and am confident! I'll shoot out to 50 yards. Only have done it once on a live deer. Double lunged him!
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Wed May 05, 2010 2:16 pm

I am right on with my bow at 20 and 30 yards, I do okay at 40 which if the moment came and it was as perfect as you say, I would do it. I have a 50 yard pin on my bow, but don't use it a lot, might not be a bad idea to brush up on it.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 pm

The Rav wrote:I am right on with my bow at 20 and 30 yards, I do okay at 40 which if the moment came and it was as perfect as you say, I would do it. I have a 50 yard pin on my bow, but don't use it a lot, might not be a bad idea to brush up on it.

Only four pins Rav??????????

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
mossyoak

Unread postby mossyoak » Wed May 05, 2010 3:48 pm

I try to keep most shot within 40 but I have no problem shooting out to 60, I like many other said do most of my target practice at longer range 60-70 occasionally out to 80 which makes shooting a 40 and in shot feel like a chip shot.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed May 05, 2010 4:38 pm

I like what Spysar said, good stuff. I don't think there's a person around that 100% knows what that deer, elk or whatever It Is, Is thinking.

As for me my distances can vary from hunt to hunt. I try to shoot every evening before I head out to the woods. If my shooting Is dead on at 25 yards I might take that shot, MIGHT. Most days though my max distance Is 20 yards. There's days It's been 15 yards too. It all depends how me and my recurve are getting along that particular day.
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Wed May 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Zap wrote:
The Rav wrote:I am right on with my bow at 20 and 30 yards, I do okay at 40 which if the moment came and it was as perfect as you say, I would do it. I have a 50 yard pin on my bow, but don't use it a lot, might not be a bad idea to brush up on it.

Only four pins Rav??????????

marty
Four is it. How many more do I need?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu May 06, 2010 1:55 am

Just razin ya.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 06, 2010 1:12 pm

lately about 25 yds max.

My first deer in 1989 was 45 yds with some old 1970s low poundage model bow. I didnt have a clue what I was doing then
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu May 06, 2010 5:20 pm

It depends on the situation.
Out west I shot and killed a mule deer at 45 yards from the ground which is not uncommon on the plains. On whitetail I limit myself to 30 yards from a treestand. I passed on a few nice bucks that were just beyond 30 yards and felt fine with my decision.
When I hear somebody say they took a hail mary shot at a buck because he was a "big one" that makes me sick. If the shot is beyond your personal limit you have no business taking the shot. I think that shows a total lack of respect for the animal. :evil:
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Thu May 06, 2010 9:35 pm

I think for now I'm confident on 20yeards. So, maybe later that should be change with more experiences...
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri May 07, 2010 1:19 am

I've had more opportunity at deer under 10 yrds than over 20.
My farthest "big" buck kill was 29 yrds. I had opportunity to shoot a P&Y class buck between 35 and 45 yrds for about a 1/2 hour and didn't take the shot untill he came closer(17 yds, scores 123").
I will shoot at elk out to 50 but never have, although I had opportunity.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really depends on the situation.
For those that like to take the long shots, please be aware what kind of kenetic energy your set up is carrying at those distances. I hear some say they won't shoot expandables because they eat up penetration. Well light arrows at long distances will do the same thing.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 am

Liberty-Hunt wrote: I hear some say they won't shoot expandables because they eat up penetration. Well light arrows at long distances will do the same thing.

That's right.

I shot a mule deer at 70 yards once and a couple whitetails at 40. I now shoot A LOT at 60 yards so, as stated earlier, the shorter shots are easier. I never take a long shot with a dead calm wind though, they will jump the string every time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”