Turkey tactic's... "calling"

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How much calling is to much, how much is not enough? ( you may choose multiple options)

Total votes: 0
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Turkey tactic's... "calling"

Unread postby dan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

How much calling is to much, how much is not enough?

WiBowhuntress

Re: Turkey tactic's... "calling"

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:29 pm

Typically for me, the birds reactions will dictate how much or how little calling I do.
And I've had so many different scenarios that it's hard to pinpoint any definate answer.
dconstantine

Unread postby dconstantine » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:47 pm

this is a "loaded" question, as many factors will dictate calling nuances. a couple helpful guidelines i always stress in my seminars are--no.1, establish a conversation with that gobbler. make sure he is talk'n to you and not other turkeys, crows, etc.-- and then shut up. only call again when he gobbles, and each time keep it brief. no.2, less is more! no.3,when talking to hens- mimic her exactly, no more, no less.
dave
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun May 02, 2010 11:15 am

Dave, good advice.

I stink at calling so I learned to shootem far.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 am

Great Points Dave,
My little brother is going on his 1st hunt and called me to ask for calling advice. I told him almost to a "T" what you just said except that my take on the gobbler conversation is if you KNOW he answered you - stop calling. I feel that if you "converse" w/ him he will expect you to come to him.
My other point would be try not to answer a Tom, make him answer you. And the opposite for hens. Hens I will cut-off and mimic exactly what she said but sometimes a touch more aggresive. If you can get her excited she will probably bring ol' long beard w/ her when she comes to ball you out.
And sometimes you have to throw the guidelines out and do something different altogether. That's the beauty of it.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 am

Every tom is different. You have to see how he responds. I called in a tom today that I couldn't call enough to. If he's coming, and heard your calls you might want to stop calling. It's really a bird to bird situation, with any combination of calling you can imagine. Experience will tell you what to do.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon May 03, 2010 11:58 am

Spysar wrote:Every tom is different. You have to see how he responds. I called in a tom today that I couldn't call enough to. If he's coming, and heard your calls you might want to stop calling. It's really a bird to bird situation, with any combination of calling you can imagine. Experience will tell you what to do.

X2
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 am

Poll broke, but still worth a bump
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:11 am

dconstantine wrote:this is a "loaded" question, as many factors will dictate calling nuances. a couple helpful guidelines i always stress in my seminars are--no.1, establish a conversation with that gobbler. make sure he is talk'n to you and not other turkeys, crows, etc.-- and then shut up. only call again when he gobbles, and each time keep it brief. no.2, less is more! no.3,when talking to hens- mimic her exactly, no more, no less.
dave

Exactly my thoughts. I try to get him to call to ME, not me calling to him. If he is cutting the distance I will generally shut up, and maybe scratch the leaves a little. If he is inside 70 yards I go totally silent most times.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 pm

One rule I stick to, is that once I can see the bird has committed, I won't call anymore. Alot of guys want that bird gobbling the entire way in until it gets shot. Every Tom is different, and relentlessly trying to entice gobbles can spook some Tom's. Like spysar said you just have to feel birds out to know how much to call, although even when i find a crazy hot bird I'm not going to over call to him, I tend to keep things more modest.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:46 pm

All great answers. Ive had many different situations where different things have worked and havent worked. One thing i learned early in my turkey hunting career was there comes a point where you dont want to call when that tom is coming in. We got that tom, but he ignored the decoy once we made that call, instead of staying on the line he was taking he turned right into the cedars we were in and walked at us through the trees. He pinpointed where that last cluck came from and was comin in hot, not an ideal situation, but something ill never forget.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Since I'm usually bowhunting birds, I call just enough to get them into view of my dekes, which will then generally bring them all the way in close for a shot.

Learning when to lay on it and when to back off the call is just something that comes with experience.....as mentioned, if you know he's closing the distance, drop the call and be ready.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:10 am

So one thing I've always wondered is when the gobbler is still roosted up in the tree and just gobbling at you . "Just pounding" as some would say, at first light. Most have said to not call anymore so he flies down and comes to you.

I've tried this "don't call till you hear him fly down" technique but this usually isn't too successful. If I wait the live hens fly down and go over to him.

Thoughts on what to do when he is answering you while still up in the tree ??
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 am

One tactic I didn't see mentioned, that I have used, is to move away from the tom once you establish a connection and he is slow playing you. Clearly some risk, but if you can move 25-30 yards safely, it sometimes makes all the difference. Again ...HIGH risk as you need to move quickly and up the odds of getting busted, but done right can be deadly.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:15 am

dconstantine wrote:this is a "loaded" question, as many factors will dictate calling nuances. a couple helpful guidelines i always stress in my seminars are--no.1, establish a conversation with that gobbler. make sure he is talk'n to you and not other turkeys, crows, etc.-- and then shut up. only call again when he gobbles, and each time keep it brief. no.2, less is more! no.3,when talking to hens- mimic her exactly, no more, no less.
dave

Agreed, but I want him answering me. Keep series brief, a will cut him off & try to turn tables to him answering me. If he is coming & close just make him look for you. I mimic hens exactly as they are. Mike

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”