Blinds out in the open

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Blinds out in the open

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 am

After seeing a couple comments I decided to make this post. Maybe I'm wrong but I think turkeys are retarded stupid, I've never really had issues with "in the open" set ups. I guess it could just be that I may not be hunting birds that are terribly pressured but when 3 and 4 year old birds just saunter up and say hello to the decoys I don't get it when other guys have open set up difficulties? Maybe I'm just lucky, which I'm fine with! Most of my set ups involve nothing to break up the blind outlind.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Blinds out in the open

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:16 am

I never really hunted out of a blind, but I have noticed turkeys walk right up to newly parked vehicles... Maybe its just human perception making people think you have to brush in your blind?
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 am

I agree 100% Mud
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:33 am

Never had to brush in a turkey blind, but I have noticed that our birds do not respond real well to decoying anymore, years ago they would practically run in to a deke set, anymore it seems to spook them more than lure them in and I think it has to do with years of hunting pressure, If it's possible I would say the birds in my area are evolving to shy away from hens that don't move to them, and aggressive calling.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:10 pm

The decoys could be the issue. I made a homemade turkey skin for my strutter so that he looks flipping awesome. Basically tanned out the back feathers and wings and just drape them over the deek, put a real fan on him and he's straight pimpin.

Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:06 pm

lungbuster wrote:Never had to brush in a turkey blind, but I have noticed that our birds do not respond real well to decoying anymore, years ago they would practically run in to a deke set, anymore it seems to spook them more than lure them in and I think it has to do with years of hunting pressure, If it's possible I would say the birds in my area are evolving to shy away from hens that don't move to them, and aggressive calling.

Not sure if you have one, but try a DSD hen.....you'd be amazed at how much better these work than foam dekes!

I agree on the blind thing Muddy.....about all I hunt anymore is field sets and never have a problem spooking the birds with the Dark Horse!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm

I never had a turkey spook from my blind and they seem to not even notice it. I always set up in the open and don't brush it in unless I am hunting deer.

A funny thing happened when a doe and last years fawn walked into my set up two weeks ago. They walked within 10 yards of my decoys and started head bobbing, foot stomping and snorting at them while I was in the blind right next to them and never payed any attention to my blind. :lol: :lol: I guess there was something they did not like about the decoy's.
Usually deer freak out about a blind that is not brushed in, these did not seem to care. :?:
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:41 am

Muddy, tell us a little bit about your decoy setup too..and by that I mean how close to your blind are your decoys? I've heard some say to set them out a ways so the birds can't see you in the blind and have heard others say to set them up close.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 am

WiBowhuntress wrote:Muddy, tell us a little bit about your decoy setup too..and by that I mean how close to your blind are your decoys? I've heard some say to set them out a ways so the birds can't see you in the blind and have heard others say to set them up close.

I never have a decoy more than 15 yards blind. My strutter deek is tied to a fishing reel so I can make it move. I always put the breeder hen and another hen close to the strutter deek and the rest get put at various locations close by to make it seem like I'm in the middle of the flock. The strutter is NEVER more than 8-10 yards away.

If you are wearing black inside a black backed blind and take your time when drawing you will never get busted. Most times those toms are committed to beating on the deeks and I'll draw when they're 20 yards out and hold till they get to point blank range.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:41 am

Open sets work great on Turkeys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”