Hill Country Bucks Setting the Standard Question?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Hill Country Bucks Setting the Standard Question?

Unread postby Indianahunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:57 pm

This not argumentative, but more of a check for myself to make sure I have the right attitude. I remember Dan saying that he gets a kick out of guys who pre-determine that they are only shooting a 140" class or better and maybe don't have one on the property, so they need to either lower their standards or hunt somewhere else. I feel differently about this concerning myself, but am open to constructive criticism. I didn't always see big deer, but I knew if I kept passing up the smaller ones that the rest of my family was shooting that I would be in a better position next year, and the years to come. I always felt that I had to become part of the solution instead of the problem. I hunted for five years and passed a lot of nice bucks before I shot my biggest buck ever. I really believe that One Buck law passed in Indiana and myself passing on smaller deer helped to make this a reality. 140" is ironically the standard I set for myself and have been given a lot of flack about it by family and friends, but I know I will never get a shot at a 140 class if I shoot anything less. Correct me if I am wrong or misunderstanding.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Bucks Setting the Standard Question?

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:05 pm

I might be wrong and don't mean to speak for Dan but I think what he was trying to say is you can't shoot something that don't exist. You should know (by pre season scouting and cams) what is available. I think he was trying to say it's futile to hold out for a 140" er that aint there. I think the comment was more aimed at knowing your deer herd not at shooting smaller deer. It would make sense to know your deer and if a "shooter" ain't there then look/hunt where one exists. I don't think he was trying to convince people to shoot deer that don't fit their personal goals.
put another way: If you intend to shoot a deer off your property and you should set your goal based on what's available not some arbitrary score.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

That,s right on magicman .That,s exactly what I got out of it too.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:55 am

Magic Man is right.... My comment was not intended to convince you to shoot small or young deer. It was directed moving to where they are. I do believe though, that if you are put in a situation where deer rarely achieve the status that you want to shoot, and that if you refuse to move your hunting to a new area, lowering your standards may be good for you...
Case in point. I have several friends who have set personal goals. 1 has a goal for a 150 class or better buck and hunts mainly public S.E. Wisconsin.
He won't shoot a doe unless he absolutely has to to get a buck tag. He has not shot a buck in nearly 15 years. I think he is robbing himself. All I hear from him is complaints about how he is failing. Hunting is supposed to be fun. I think he has "unrealistic goals"
On the other hand, my friend Andrea won't shoot anything that don't make Boone & Crockett, but he adjusts his goals if there are bucks above that standard in his huntable areas. For example, a few years ago a buck was on one of his properties that I believe would of been the new world record typical. That year he passed two for sure B&C bucks on film waiting for the big one. He also won't hunt his farms that don't have a "shooter" buck on them. He moniters with trail cams and when the right buck shows up, he hunts. If it don't he hunts elsewhere and lets the bucks grow up on that pc.
Your goals are your business. My point is, try to keep hunting enjoyable. Either hunt where the deer exist or set your goals accordingly.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:08 am

I am so horrible at writing what I am trying to say. I surely hope no one was offended. I really do understand Dan was not saying shoot small deer, and I feel really dumb for it coming out that way. What I was trying to say could not be intelligently understood by the way I wrote it so I will silence myself...lol now that I know what Dan was saying I will leave it at that. Sorry
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 am

Dude, you worry to much... :lol:
I understood what you meant. These forums are open for discussion.
Ask whatever you like..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”