Turkey's in the wind

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Turkey's in the wind

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:20 pm

Did anybody have any luck turkey hunting in all of the wind and cooler weather we had today?

I had awesome action the first two days but today they just shut down for me. The toms did not even do any gobbling this morning which I thought was odd since they were gobbling like crazy the first two days. It was really hard to do any calling in the wind and the turkeys seemed to be holding tight and not moving much.

I'm just getting started with learning about turkey hunting and was hoping somebody had some ideas since it is supposed to be the same tomorrow.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Turkey's in the wind

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I try to hunt from up wind of the turkeys if possible and use louder calls in the wind till I get noticed. Sound carries down wind better than up wind.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:13 am

What Dan said, plus go to low spots out of the wind, the birds will move in the wind but usually down in hollows where the wind isn't as bad.
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 am

Try flingin an arrow in the wind once you got a turkey in sight!

Where I hunt there are steep ravines and hills, that is where they like to go once they fly down from roost.....especially when windy.

Harder than heck tostalk with a bow and get a draw on them. I did finally get several opportunities to fling arrows in an open field, although it was earlier in the morning and circumstances were pretty good....south facing hillside and winds prevailing from the north-northwest.....

I have killed turey's in the rain, snow and the wind....

Hunt safe, hard or take a nap!
RJR-007
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 am

Dewey, are you hunting the same area 3 days straight? If so, are you just going to 1 spot and sitting or are you on the move calling/trying to locate an willing gobbler? Reason I'm asking is turkeys will shut down pretty quick with hunting pressure. I like to go into an area and p. pound it then leave for at least a week. Seems like so many times I've gone into an area and had active birds then go back the next day and they "disappeared".

Good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 am

3dog wrote:Dewey, are you hunting the same area 3 days straight? If so, are you just going to 1 spot and sitting or are you on the move calling/trying to locate an willing gobbler? Reason I'm asking is turkeys will shut down pretty quick with hunting pressure. I like to go into an area and p. pound it then leave for at least a week. Seems like so many times I've gone into an area and had active birds then go back the next day and they "disappeared".

Good luck!

I hunted the same general area but kept moving around. After the winds died down I had excellent action again but unfortunately could not connect on a gobbler. It seemed like they hung up just outside of bow range probably because I got a little to agressive on my calling. This year was a great learning experience for me hope to do better in the future.

Had a great time and can't wait till next season.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 19, 2022 11:45 pm

If it gets really windy getting into areas out of the wind. like valleys can be key
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri May 20, 2022 12:41 am

I LOVE hunting turkeys on windy days - in relatively flat farm country I know the odds are they'll be out in fields rather than in the woods... I tuck myself into a tree line and let my half strut jake over breeding hen set up do the rest of the work..call sparingly...the wind also adds some motion to the decoy spread giving it even more realism...and it keeps the bugs away! I shot a nice Tom on tuesday afternoon doing just that, came in puffed up spitting and drumming right into the spread...

I find on those perfect calm days the turkeys can be just about anywhere, so this tilts the odds ever so slightly into my favor, and for some reason other hunters seem to stay home - a WIN-WIN for me :)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 am

Wow! What a blast from the past. I haven’t turkey hunted in 10 years. :lol:
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri May 20, 2022 11:23 am

dan wrote:If it gets really windy getting into areas out of the wind. like valleys can be key

This....and in flat farm country, the downwind side of woodlots will often be the turkey hangout on those super windy days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”