IMO

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

badfaulkner

IMO

Unread postby badfaulkner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 am

Based on my experience in hunting hogs, which is fairly limited in terms of years but extensive in the amount of days actually hunting during those years, it is my opinion that hogs are harder to find on public land than deer.

I have no scientific theory to back this up but merely anecdotal evidence: I "always" (nearly) see deer in the swamps I hunt but seldom see wild hogs.

Why?

Well, I'm told they roam farther than deer, that they're nomadic, that they'll just up and leave, that they spook easier, that they're as smart as dogs.

At any rate, although they are considered to be pests by most farmers, landscapers, and golf course managers (and DNR employees), I find them great to hunt. A real challenge.

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: IMO

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 am

I agree. They could be coming in like clockwork for 4-5 days, same time seen, but up and leave for no apparent reason. No way to pattern them. You know the thing I notice about hogs is this, they love to wallow and need to for their skin, but, they do not seem to like to constantly be in wet surroundings. They seem to prefer dry ground and make or seek the wallows.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:14 am

Very good point, huntinnurse. They are not reptiles, for sure. When the river basin water levels rise, hogs head for the high ground like the deer, etc.

An active wallow and scat, imo, are the best signs of hogs frequenting an area.
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:34 am

One of the things I learned in Hawaii, the pigs there have a preference for where they poop. They will go to one area and do their business and leave. No rooting, no staying, no wallows, just their "bathroom". I have not heard of anyone here in TX noticing that of the pigs here.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 am

I know biologically Hogs and Wild Boar are very close (36 chromosomes for Hogs and 38 for Wild Boar)...

I can not speak really about Hog but I suppose them behavior are pretty similar...

A lot of hunters here think "they're nomadic" like you did right badfaulkner. But I can tell you is a mistake.
In fact most part of time they have a very big territory.
(Of course I always speak for sure about Wild Boar...).
A big mature Boar have between 5000 and 7000 Ha and some group of female are crossing this one (the female have usually a more little one).
They move with food availability and quiet aria.
They don't perspire, so for them temperature regulation they are in water...mud help to kill them parasite etc...

Hope those information will complete yours?!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
badfaulkner

Unread postby badfaulkner » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:39 am

If in terms of "big territory" you mean an entire geographical river basin area across several counties (or even several states), than I'm in complete agreement with you. :)

I'm not talking about pigs/boars/feral hogs that have bait stations to feed them, either. Public land, free ranging hogs, with natural food sources. They will leave an area completely that is allegedly "infested" with hogs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”