Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinnurse
500 Club

Voting thread for pics & stories (Update)

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Here is the list:
1. Haus 86
2. Sam Ubl *
3. Mountain Man *
4. magicman 54494
5. Casper
6. Spysar
7. JJWI
8. Chad
8. WiBowhuntress
9. BackwoodsHunter
10. WashingtonCoWiHunter
11. ACK
13. Muddy **
14. PublicLandBeast
15. Nature Boy
16. Solocam 88
17. Cash 18
18. Slider 1005
19. Black Squirrel *
20. Osprey *
21. Goober
22. Dewey
23. hunt n nut
24. 3dog
25. Tree Toad
26. huntinfool 14 *
27. BG Hunter
28. Bigdaddy-yoyo
29. 10 Point
30. Superior Game Ranch
31. tresleggos
32. MoBigBucks *
33. DevinJD2007
34. Dabowhunter
35. PaSwamper
36. Boo
37. Gardner Swamp
38. Arrowbender *
39. Hurricaine
40. Zap
41. Goltip5575
42. rtprincess
43. Mike K
44. Matt 1336
45. Robert Richer *

Those who have entered the contest, post your pics and stories here. Thanks.

4/28/09~~~~~ Please be sure to post here for voting purposes. Come on folks, I know you can do it!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by huntinnurse on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Retitled, new message

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Contest post for pic and stories

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:22 pm

Muddy's KS Triple Stomp pics:

Muddy, I added the link to the story here.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=974
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Osprey

Re: Contest post for pic and stories (entrants post here, too)

Unread postby Osprey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:04 am

Well I've had a wild first two days of the season. Yesterday, opening day, I was at home on my farm with my smoothbore flintlock. Had some birds gobble in the distance at daybreak over on my neighbors, but I was set up in my clover patch, me in the blind and the gobbler and hen dekes out in front at 20 yards. Had 6 deer come through early, then at 9:30 I had a big gobbler coming across the field in full strut straight to me. He hung up at what I thought was 30 yards, which is as far as I want to shoot the flinter (the patterns really open up past that). Sighted on him, BANG, and he flew off. Dammit. Turned out to be 37, he was a big bird. Sat the rest of the morning, cause I've seen 4 out there at once in the past week, but only other bird until noon was a lone hen.

Today I went on a parivate farm an hour north of home. Very pretty morning, had two birds gobbling there heads off very close to me. Too close, I think one saw me cross the field, cause that one went way back in the woods off the roost. The other gobbled for awhile, then moved off into the no hunting zone of the neighboring State Park. Could have been from the yahoo walking and calling along the other property boundary next door all morning. Came home then, planning on sitting in my blind until noon. Got back there at 9:45, put the decoys out, got in the blind and made a few yelps. Not ten minutes later I see a gobbler coming along the back woods edge, angling out to my decoys. He came to about 40 yards, body feathers puffed up but not full strutting. I had the 870 today though, and the 40 yard shot with that dropped him dead right there. Turned out to be a big Jake, with the tall grass I couldn't really tell until I had him in hand and got a good look at the spurs and tail. Still, a great, short hunt and one tag filled! Now it's smoothbore only for the second one, just have to get them in closer
Osprey

Unread postby Osprey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 am

robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Ok,

I will post what little I have now;

15 lb jake with a 4.0 " beard
Used my old set-up verses new set-up (Z7bow, streamline arrows)Drenalin bow @ 42 yards
carbon 300 arrow with 100 grain NAP exspandable's
Old double bull blind
Sony camcorder

Hey I apologize for the lack of pictures and video's, I'm trying to do all of this on my own......I will attempt to download 3 short videos, 1 missing at a huge Tom, 1 again missing at a Tom with somewhat poor footage/ground footage and last the footage of me arrowing the jake.......

Hang in there..... :roll:
RJR-007
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 am

There are two attachments on "On my way to fling arrows at turkey's!!!" thread that work to view video of my turkey hunt.

Huning nurse or Dan can you transfer these to this thread so that members can see the videos?

I will add story once the videos are transfered....

Thank you in advance....

Not the best videos but better than pictures that I dont have....camera wasnt working too well.
RJR-007
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 am

thought I would try my self, did this work?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rricher/4544326240/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rricher/4543791259/

If it didnt, oh well I tried... :|
RJR-007
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 am

Yep it worked!!!!Good job!!!!!
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 am

Here are my quick stories to go with my videoa and what little pictures;

First day set up in blind and talked to several tom's roosted near-by, nothing came in once they flew down. This big Tom on video played games with me long enough to wear my patience, flung arrow about 40 yards, miss....

Thursday morning (no video), had a Tom roosted to my left, flew down once light was good, came in once again about 40 yards, swing and a miss....poor video, need to edit before sending.

Friday morning, talked to one tom and what sounded like jakes...sure enough they cam into my set up to my left and once again stayed out about 40/42 yards. If you notice in the background you see a Tom. could be the one of the two I missed...sure is far away..scared, smart...

As the video shows (shaky), these jakes came in and found 1 of 3 pretty much broad-side and let the arrow fly..., about 40 yards.

I believe they didnt like my set-up or blind, none the less harvested a nice jake, 15 lbs and just short of a 4.0" beard.
RJR-007
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:17 am

No option to edit last post, but for some reason I can edit this one??

Fixed for ya Sam!!!!!!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 am

Whow! This could be published in "Turkey Talk", why dont you?
What a story...good job! Cant wait to see the pictures.
RJR-007
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:43 am

The alarm sounded at 4 am, but I was already awake from the sideways downpour tapping at the windows. I kissed my wife as she wished me luck in her sleepy murmurs, and headed for the farm.

There’s an awning where the hay is stacked and some farm equipment rests dry from the elements, yet room enough to park my car so I, too, would be safe from the elements as I prepared myself for the field.

I had put two large Tom’s to bed, along with several hens the night before, so my plan was simple. I would set up on the edge of the alfalfa field where they had entered the woods the night prior in hopes that when the sun peaked in the east, the silhouette of my early riser hen decoy could be seen from their roost.

These kings of the treetop canopy would be difficult to separate from their faithful hens, but this land is made up of more than quality birds, there’s quantity, as well.

The rain had subsided by the time I was situated, and so had the wind. With the decoy placed 15 yards from my blind, my bow leaning against the wall of the blind and light peaking in the east, I sounded off with a series of cutting and purrs. Before I could finish, the now broken silence became further distorted in a glorious fashion. All around me, the throaty echoes of gobbling played a revelry I can still hear today if I close my eyes and listen.

Within minutes I heard the familiar sound of beating wings as birds left their roost for the day and took to the ground.

Game time!

The first bird to show himself was a moderately sized Tom. He strutted right in and circled the decoy. Unsure what to make of her blank stares, he backed off and performed for her a beautiful song of enticement – a series of at least a half-dozen gobbles.

Shivers crept down my spine as his voice was strong enough to be felt in my chest at such close distance. I reached for my bow, but grabbed my phone instead and took a picture of him in half strut just outside my blind window – my way of saying good morning to my hunting friends as I pressed the “send” button.

Twenty minutes passed before two more Tom’s entered the field from the oak ridge to my back, this time a mere 5 yards to my right. This was the pair of gentlemen were I was waiting for. Their beards were long and swung as they walked, however, this encounter would be short-lived as their skittish behavior alarmed me that something was wrong. Seconds later they were gone as they set off running down the field edge before disappearing over the hillside.

Disappointed I sat back and considered my odds. In the first hour of light I’ve had two encounters with three birds – all Toms. Would there be another opportunity, I pondered. Just then, to my left a trotting coyote caught my eye. I contemplated the shot, then reconsidered and reminded myself why I was out there. I leaned my head and arm out of the window as he neared my decoy, now in a sly stalking fashion, and scared him off in a hurry as I waved him off with a certain finger raised in retaliation for his intrusion.

Time wore on and soon it was after 7 am. The gobbling had waned off by now, but not my attention. There to my left on the same trail as the coyote had entered the field was a buck. I could clearly see his bases, they resembled a giraffe, so to speak, short and fat with about three inches of length. I again reached for my phone and recorded a short video of him as he fed within twenty yards of me.

“I’ll see you again.” I muttered under my breath as he fed his way off the field.

Just as I was thinking of leaving my shelter to spot and stalk the rest of the field and even the woods, I began one final series of calls. Within minutes I saw a head cresting the hillside to my right, and moment later exposed another moderate Tom. Fanned out, he believed this hen (my decoy) would come to him. He sounded off with a couple of deep-throated gobbles and paced back and forth showing off every angle of his majestic strut.

Steadfast, she stood, my lonely hen decoy, unimpressed by her persistent admirer. A lady knows looks can kill, and she used her plastic beauty to draw him in. While my heart went out to his conquered ego, I settled my pin as he closed the distance.

Perhaps not the biggest bird of my life, nor the biggest of the day, sometimes the hunt is worth more than a material trophy at the end – sometimes it’s about the hunt. This bird sported a seven inch beard and ¾ inch spurs. His showmanship was something to remember and for that I was grateful as my arrow landed home and sealed the deal for my first of two Spring turkey tags here in south east Wisconsin.

Mid-May will come quickly, and before you know it I’ll find myself back out there in that alfalfa field and I can’t wait!

Pictures
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:48 am

Awesome Sam! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”