Mouth call question

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Mouth call question

Unread postby Casper » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:44 pm

What do you do to keep your reeds from sticking together (I believe this is what happens anyways), when you dont call for a little bit and you get a high pitch coming off the call the next time you use it. Hard to explain, but how do you avoid it?

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
PLB
500 Club

Re: Mouth call question

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:33 pm

I soak mine in mouthwash and never had a problem? :?
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:02 pm

Casper wrote:What do you do to keep your reeds from sticking together (I believe this is what happens anyways), when you dont call for a little bit and you get a high pitch coming off the call the next time you use it. Hard to explain, but how do you avoid it?

Are you talking about not using it for a few hours while hunting or not using it for a day or more between hunts?

While hunting I've never noticed a problem throughout the day. When I get home after a hunt I wash the mouth call with water and then take some toothpicks, break them in half, and then stick the pointed end of one or two half toothpicks between each layer of latex. When it's dry take the toothpicks out and you're ready to go again.
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 am

Im talking about when you use it. Then it sits in my mouth for a while, then when I use it again the reeds stick together or something and a higher pitched sound comes out.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 am

I stick small pieces of toothpick between the reeds and soak in mouthwash. It works great!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:19 am

Casper wrote:Im talking about when you use it. Then it sits in my mouth for a while, then when I use it again the reeds stick together or something and a higher pitched sound comes out.

When it's in your mouth, just work it with your tongue, and stretch it out a bit. If your getting too many squeaky noises maybe you have a call with too many reeds for you. If your getting squeaks with a four reed, go to a three reed. If you use a three, go to a two reed...If you make a squeak while calling, don't stop, just keep your rhythm. Real turkeys make all kinds of squeaky noises....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 am

If you make a squeak while calling, don't stop, just keep your rhythm. Real turkeys make all kinds of squeaky noises....

I don't use a mouth call... mainly just a box call. But I totally agree with Spy's statement about bad calling or noises. I have screwed up royally and still got the bird by just making sure the last call in the series is a good one.
Casper
500 Club

Unread postby Casper » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 am

I have no problem using it, it just when it sits in my mouth for a while without using it, once in a while the reeds stick. I don't use any calls with less than three reeds because I dont like the sound they make, not raspy enough.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 pm

In that case, keep a bottle of water nearby, your mouth must be too dry!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”