Dan's Turkey hunt...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Dan's Turkey hunt...

Unread postby dan » Tue May 17, 2011 1:51 pm

With Ma being sick I have not been able to get out much... I got out a little while on Thursday after work and found a large Tom willing to die, but opted to let my buddy Dave go 1st since I would only be able to get out to help him a little... Great bird Dave! 8-)
To see a pic check out the "Dave scores" post...
I also was able to catch a raccoon... He had a tear in his hide on his leg so I chased him down and caught him to have Carol see if he needed some help. Dave filmed the chase and catch, and it is quite funny to watch as he runs in figure 8's and I keep just missing him...
Once caught he kept trying to curl up and bite my hand...

On Sunday I got invited to hunt a private area with a lot of unhunted turkeys. I was required to use my bow. It was a last minute thing so I did not have expandables or dull broadheads, so I just used my forge bow. and a muzzy tipped arrow with a lumenoc.
In the 1st 15 minutes of daylight I spooked 2 big toms without getting a shot. Each time they got in from behind without gobbling and I could not move without them spooking... So I stopped the hunt and went and borrowed a blind and some decoys from a friend and then spent a few hours releaving Carol and helping with take care of Ma...
With Sunday being the last day I could hunt in my 5 day season I headed back out in the afternoon. When I got there the target turkey was out and spooked when we went to set up.
We got all the decoys set up, and the tent that was too small for two people with bow and camera gear...

And I started calling. About 20 minutes later 2 Toms came out of a field to investigate. they came in silent. They held up at close to 40 yards. When they went to leave I shot one of the Toms while Dave filmed. The shot was 37 yards. The arrow looked perfect. The bird jumped up and kind flopped into a wheat field. I imeadiatly ran after it... When I got there the bird took flight and sailed across the road into a thick swamp. I was amazed at the size of the blood trail.. I am sure if I would of waited, I would of gotten the bird it probably died in flight.
The season ended with no bird...

The blades of the muzzy severed about five big wing feathers...

JRM6868
The Terminator

Re: Dan's Turkey hunt...

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Congrats on the coon catch! :D sorry about the bird. Atleast you got to get a shot. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen. Bird was flopping around as he got up to it the bird flew off and he never did find it. It must be that survival instinct kicking in on them.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue May 17, 2011 10:13 pm

Funny chit!!! To bad you couldn't find your bird.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

that's a tough break on the bird, Dan- man can they fly when they want to.

cool snag on the masked bandit, by the way! 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed May 18, 2011 3:27 am

Singing Bridge wrote:that's a tough break on the bird, Dan- man can they fly when they want to.

X2
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed May 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:that's a tough break on the bird, Dan- man can they fly when they want to.

X2

x3!
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed May 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Congrats on the action Dan.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 am

Soooo, to you turkey bowhunting guru's out there, what did "Dan" do wrong on this hunt???
Wrong broadhead?
Bad shot placment?
Nothing?
Any ideas????
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:49 am

It appears your shot was good. Only thing I could say was to maybe wait a little longer next time. That would of given him more time to bleed out before he heard you coming up on him and cause him to take flight. You never know he may of taken flight at the same time regardless of whether you walked up on him or not.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 19, 2011 7:12 am

dan wrote:Soooo, to you turkey bowhunting guru's out there, what did "Dan" do wrong on this hunt???
Wrong broadhead?
Bad shot placment?
Nothing?
Any ideas????

I have to ask a few questions before I give my opinion on the matter. Was the bird broadside? In strut or standing?

The very first thing that sticks out at me is that the wing feathers you show are from the flight feathers if you cut them off you hit back and low, likely through some of the leg and/or breast as that's where those particular feathers are at on a bird.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 am

Well, regardless, after a quick google search on images this is where I personally think you actually ended up hitting the bird, especially after relooking at the picture you posted with that big wing feather. I'd say broadside or quartering away you likely hit leg/gut/breast and didn't get into the lungs/liver/heart area. A leg or breast shot will bleed like a stuck pig.

The second feather picture I just realized had one of the longer flight feathers, so I really think you hit low and back.

Couple pics I doctored up with where I think you hit.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 am

Interesting Muddy... I was using a Lumenock, and the hit did look good. But looks at 280 feet per second can be decieving. You make a valid point about the wing feathers. The bird was either broadside or slightly quartering away... I will try to get Dan Jr to help me post the video clip... Maybe we can slow-mo the video clip and see exact arrow hit.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu May 19, 2011 8:04 am

JRM6868 wrote:It appears your shot was good. Only thing I could say was to maybe wait a little longer next time. That would of given him more time to bleed out before he heard you coming up on him and cause him to take flight. You never know he may of taken flight at the same time regardless of whether you walked up on him or not.

I agree, based on the amount of blood and that the turkey only went 20 yards and then flopped over, if I would of left him there instead of immeadiatly running after, I think I may have had better results.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 am

Too bad about the turkey, Dan. As usual though sounds like you had an interesting hunt.
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Thu May 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Thats a long shot, did you ever get to reveiw the video?
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”