my observations from my turkey hunt

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

magicman54494
500 Club

my observations from my turkey hunt

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:51 am

1. The turkeys seemed to roost in a different area each night.
2. Getting up at 3 AM sucks. :lol:
3. The toms always seemed to be hooked up with hens right off the roost so calling doesn't seem to do much good. I think knowing or guessing their direction of travel and cutting them off would be a better morning tactic.
4. The toms did not like my decoys and wouldn't come close. My decoys are those foam ones you can fold up in a pack. Where's big bio when you need him? :D
5. without decoys the toms would just come only so far then leave when they could'nt see a hen.
6. I noticed that every day about 3 PM the toms would get fired up and gobble. I think that they were with hens that came off their nests for a while?
7. I never got a single gobble by running and gunning.
8. turkeys are much smarter than magicman! :oops:
9. I was never able to determine a pattern and their daily movement seemed to be very random.
10. I had my best luck on the nicest weather days.

I do feel the hunt was a success because I had a dandy tom within shotgun range on the first day but I had my bow. He came by at 7:30 AM with a flock of hens and jakes. He returned about 4 hours later and strutted for my decoys but locked up at 50 yds. He started making a puck, puck, puck, noise and buggered out of there. He came back about another 4 hours later and did the same thing but he didn't get as close. I had a few more encounters with toms over the 5 days but nothing close enough to shoot. I got some cool wildlife footage on my video camera. It must be squirrell mating season because them suckers were going nuts chasing each other around. I found one spot way back in where there were at least a dozen squirrells going crazy and they were not scared of me at all. They practically were running over my boots! If I was good at editing I would put together a short video. Maybe if I find the time I'll put something crude together. The hunt was fun but frustrating because I really wanted to take one with my bow. I got close but never loosed an arrow. I did carry my scatter gun when I was running and gunning. I constantly had to fight the urge to do some deer scouting which I gave into temptation on a few occasions. I hooked up with matson123 (Adam) on Sat. afternoon. We walked his hunting land then planned to do some turkey hunting but his Dad showed up with some apple trees that needed planting. Adam is a great guy and I'd like to do some scouting of the public land near him sometime down the road.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: my observations from my turkey hunt

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 10, 2011 2:08 am

Those turkeys can be awful frustrating! I got to wait another week and a half yet.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 am

Magic - you sound like you had the same kind of weekend chasing longbeards as I did. I never got one reply trying to call those crazy Toms in :oops: I hope they light-n up for the hunt this weekend. I have a friend from work coming to hunt with me.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue May 10, 2011 5:41 am

Your observations seem pretty spot on (for some of the time)..thats kinda how our Black Hills trip was..

Other times everything you said might be the exact opposite..Birds will gobble at anything, come running into anything they see, roost and travel in the same areas day after day, etc..

It can be very frustrating at times though!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 am

I have found that turkeys are just so darn unpredictable. One day everything goes perfect and you think, boy this turkey hunting is easy. The next day, nothing goes right, and your like what am I doing wrong? I can't really understand those birds! :x
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Tue May 10, 2011 8:40 am

they can be very predictable... just have to be heading into work without a gun in the truck... I see them all the time then! :evil:
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Magic you outlined my season as well. Only you seem to not be as angry as me.

I am full of anger at turkeys right now. Ellie is tired of taking the long way home from school on all the back roads lately. She has been reminding me of all the agonizing glassing and scouting we did in March and April. She just wants to play and watch Icarly. But I assure her this is much more important as mom has a tag through the end of May. I just need to finish these last three anger management classes then I will be ready again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”