Crash course in running and gunning?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Crash course in running and gunning?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:53 am

So I found out I can still buy either a G or H license in MN (archery only). There's some public I've never been to fairly close by that I'm assuming probably got hit fairly hard being so close to the twin cities, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. It's basically higher elevation up along the road that runs along it, then drops off into marsh. I attached a google earth pic of it.

I've never turkey hunted before and really have no idea how to start. I've seen turkey shows, sure, but as with deer hunting I'm sure this would be a tough hunt that requires a bit more aggressive strategies.

-Where do turkeys like to hide out this late in the season on public?
-Do they hunker down into the marsh or stay in wooded areas whenever possible? What areas should I focus on?
-How should I go about locating a bird? Any tips on calling or setup in this type of terrain?
-Any random tips that may help?

The season's coming up pretty fast. I can hunt in the areas NOT covered in red lines.

Beason
500 Club

Re: Crash course in running and gunning?

Unread postby Beason » Sat May 07, 2011 9:26 am

Is this the Rapids Lake unit? I'm in my second year of turkey hunting so I don't have the expertise in this subject, but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/minnesotaval ... _lake.html

I interned with the USFWS in their engineering dept for awhile and worked in Minn Valley NWR in the spring doing flood plain stuff (saw some big toms at the Rapids unit). If I were you, I would do some short scouts calling and listening in the mornings. If nothing, move to the next parking lot, etc. I generally saw them on higher ground in/around fields or near timber along the river bottom where they roosted. My season starts this Sunday and the weather looks crappy so I will probably be doing some run and gunnin on the private farms and public near me also. Good luck to ya!
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 am

I wanted to mention, don't overlook the spots either if you don't hear gobbling. Bring binocs!
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:32 am

Yep, that's the place all right. Thanks for the advice. It gives me a little bit more confidence knowing that there actually are turkeys there and I have a chance. Makes sense that they might be call shy too. In some of the state parks that I've scouted for deer I've jumped up turkeys right in the woods that hunkered down just like a grouse would. Although they are much louder and scare the crap out of me. :lol:
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat May 07, 2011 1:29 pm

My actual turkey hunting experience has been quite limited, but I do alot of reading and video watching, so I can maybe offer you a bit of advice..Hopefully some more people will chime in and help you more. This may seem abstract, but Im just spilling alot of what I have learned here..

First off, if you can find their roost, you are in great shape. I would do this by trying to put some birds to bed - scout the area in the evening, around sunset..where the birds are near dark is not far from their roost (if there are open fields, etc in the area). Also, after they fly up, you can sometimes get them to gobble by using a shock call such as a crow call, coyote howl, or even honking your vehicle horn. If you can scout some mornings before daylight, they usually gobble a few times before they come down off the roost..this will help you pinpoint where they are. If you can find their roost, set up close (DO NOT BUMP THEM), and make a few soft yelps once you hear them start gobbling in the morning, and sometimes you can get them to fly down almost in your lap...

Also, if you can locate their strutting, dusting, or feeding zones throughout the day (scouting again), those would be good places to set up near as well, since they are pretty much creatures of habit, and will often travel the same circuit each day.

Another piece of advice I can give you is DO NOT (I repeat: DO NOT) call to them before you are actually hunting them. Dont go out in the woods 3 days before you plan to hunt and start yelping like a hen. This will educate them.

Any time during the day while you are hunting, you can try locating birds by walking around and doing a little yelping and seeing if you can get something to gobble back at you. A crow call also works excellent for this - Hammer a few caws on it and they may gobble back at you.

If you can get them to gobble at you, dont over-call. Get them interested, then play hard to get..In nature, the hens come to the toms..its not natural for toms to go to hens - hence playing hard to get and making them come to you. If they are interrupting your yelps with gobbles, thats a good sign..that means they are very interested.

In the late season, the toms may be a little love sick and looking for hens, so sometimes it doesnt take much..but then again, they may be really educated and really tough to get to gobble or come in to anything.

Ask away any more questions you have, and good luck!
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:03 am

How about concealment. Not going to carry a blind around with me. How about some stakes with that camo burlap material that's light and quick to set up? Or simply use cover to your advantage and only move when they can't see you?
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I as well am a fairly new turkey hunter. I spent the weekends with my buddies who are all about it though and all we did was run and gun (spent $200 on gas to not shoot a bird because I choked :roll: ) Anyhow we went around just at last light and would stop along the road wherever we could hunt and we'd get out and just do some yelps with the slate call. We got a gobble back friday night and saturday morning set up on that bird and he came right in. I definitely think putting them to bed is the way to go. Even if you don't pin point a roost if you can set up where they are close enough to hear your calling you should get a crack. I'd lose the burlap blind, I have tried them in the past as have buddies and they seem to spook more birds than they bring in. We just sit up against trees. Good luck!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon May 09, 2011 1:36 pm

I would lose the blind and material stuff too. Wear whatever camo or neutral colors that's most comfortable to your liking and go after them. Try to make sure you are in the shadows and draw when you think the timing is right. I had to run times at a hockey tournament so I didn't make it today. Fortunately, my buddy thinks he's got some nailed down on a small farm I hunt. Hoping to get one tomorrow.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 09, 2011 9:16 pm

We got a gobble back friday night and saturday morning set up on that bird and he came right in. I definitely think putting them to bed is the way to go. Even if you don't pin point a roost if you can set up where they are close enough to hear your calling you should get a crack.

I wish it were always that easy... But its not. Putting one to bed gives you a place to start in the morning but not haveing that birds movment patterns down, and not knowing where the hens are roosted with / or near him, usually ends in failure, but is certainly worth a 1st light try...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue May 10, 2011 1:11 am

dan wrote:
We got a gobble back friday night and saturday morning set up on that bird and he came right in. I definitely think putting them to bed is the way to go. Even if you don't pin point a roost if you can set up where they are close enough to hear your calling you should get a crack.

I wish it were always that easy... But its not. Putting one to bed gives you a place to start in the morning but not haveing that birds movment patterns down, and not knowing where the hens are roosted with / or near him, usually ends in failure, but is certainly worth a 1st light try...

X2!! I agree!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue May 10, 2011 5:32 am

Some of the best hunting Ive had was between 9:30am and about 12:30, and then again during the last few hours of light.

Dont just hunt the first couple hours of light and think you are gonna go home, grab something to eat, take a nap, etc..Some of the best hunting is late morning, after the hens leave to go to the nest, leaving toms out on the prowl.

Also, if you know where they are roosted and cant get them in the morning, you can set up really close to that tree in the evening and catch them coming back to the roost around sunset. Be careful with this strategy though because if you dont kill them, you are most likely busted, and they will roost somewhere else..
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue May 17, 2011 2:29 pm

bowhunter15,

Results?
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Hasn't quite started yet. I'm buying the tag for the season that goes from May 20-26, so it's getting close.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:44 am

We've had terrible weather in the cities this weekend. Rain and lightning... there were even a few tornados that touched down a few hours ago. Friday night I went and walked the field edge by the bulk of the woods in that land. The grass was over a foot tall almost everywhere in the woods. Tried a couple quick calls before dark in a couple different places to try and get a gobble but no luck. Found one set of tracks, no telling how old.

Monday and Wednesday night I could go out, have to work in the mornings. I have a buddy that says he can take me out on his land Tuesday and Thursday mornings. That's probably my best shot at this point.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 am

well good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”