Favorite Calls?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Favorite Calls?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Tue May 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Which calls do you have/use and which are your favorites?

Pot Call?

Diaphragms?

Box Call?

Anything else?

Personally, I have a custom pot call that my girlfriend got me that is awesome, and as far as diaphragm calls goes, I have a variety of them (HS Strut, Primos, Woodhaven, Knight & Hale, etc), and my favorite ones are the woodhaven, one of my knight and hale calls, and my primos signature series call.

I dont have a box call, but Im in the process of trying to pick one out for next season..

Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Re: Favorite Calls?

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Which calls do you have/use and which are your favorites?

I dont have a box call, but Im in the process of trying to pick one out for next season..

Thanks for this post! I'm in the same case...
I'm waiting for answers too!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I have all those calls and then some.

The best call, hands down is the mouth diaphram. Learn how to use one, and don't look back....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 04, 2011 12:31 am

Spysar wrote:I have all those calls and then some.

The best call, hands down is the mouth diaphram. Learn how to use one, and don't look back....

X2!!! I've called in and killed my last 5 birds with just a mouth call. To me they are the most real sounding calls you can have, especially when cutting ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am

Spysar wrote:The best call, hands down is the mouth diaphram. Learn how to use one, and don't look back....

X2!!! I've called in and killed my last 5 birds with just a mouth call. To me they are the most real sounding calls you can have, especially when cutting

Which ones are your favorites? Brands/models?
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed May 04, 2011 2:31 am

I usually carry the following calls with me - crow, owl, slate (really glass), box, and a couple of diaphragms. Sometimes I have one of those gobble shaker calls with me but haven't ever really had a need to use it.

The two I prefer and use the most for calling turkeys are the slate and diaphram in that order.

I don't get too caught up in the brands of calls. My slate is an H.S. Strut I bought about 14 years ago. I get new diaphrams every couple of years and those are usually H.S. Strut or Primos. I've had good succes with these calls so I have no need to buy any new calls except to replace some diaphrams.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 am

I currently have an H.S. Strut box call... It works great. But I would warn newbies to try each call at the store. cause some have giood tone and some don't...
Dave Constantine makes some REALLY good calls but they are a little pricy.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 04, 2011 4:55 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
Spysar wrote:The best call, hands down is the mouth diaphram. Learn how to use one, and don't look back....

X2!!! I've called in and killed my last 5 birds with just a mouth call. To me they are the most real sounding calls you can have, especially when cutting

Which ones are your favorites? Brands/models?

I prefer HS mouth calls. They fit the best in my mouth and sound great.
Obsession Bows
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 am

I love the HS ringzone glass friction call because of it's volume and super high pitch and frequency!! I realize custom calls probably do sound even better but they come with a price too!! I can run 5 minutes to the store and get any of these calls fairly cheap. If I break or lose one it aint the end of the world! I hunt high pressure birds on big woods public land, no agriculture and have been very successful with store bought HS calls. No matter what you use, practice them often so you are not afraid to use them once you hit the woods! A lovesick lonely tom will forgive lots of calling sins in the springtime ;)
Obsession Bows
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed May 04, 2011 11:14 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I love the HS ringzone glass friction call because of it's volume and super high pitch and frequency!! I realize custom calls probably do sound even better but they come with a price too!! I can run 5 minutes to the store and get any of these calls fairly cheap. If I break or lose one it aint the end of the world! I hunt high pressure birds on big woods public land, no agriculture and have been very successful with store bought HS calls. No matter what you use, practice them often so you are not afraid to use them once you hit the woods! A lovesick lonely tom will forgive lots of calling sins in the springtime ;)

I actually have two friction calls..one is my custom one and my other is the Ringzone glass call as well..I will agree that is in an awesome call! (especially for the cost!)
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 pm

for mouth calls, Fredricks custom calls, or M.A.D calls

for box and slate calls, H.S. is the only way to go

if you can, use a mouth call, most realistic sound
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed May 04, 2011 11:59 pm

For diaphram calls I use Primos signature series doubles,
For box calls and pot calls I use Quaker Boy. I really like the sound I can get from them and the volume levels I am able to get. I can go real loud for windy days, or soft and quiet to try to do some coaxing, the tone stays the same.

My favorite would be the pot calls, I am not a good mouth call user, I can get alot of different calls from one pot call

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”