blinds in the open

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

blinds in the open

Unread postby Haus86 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:21 am

How many of you will place your blind in the middle of the field? Any pros or cons? Do the turkeys ever shy away from it? Also, I would appreciate any decoying tips in this situation. Thanks

huntinfool14
500 Club

Re: blinds in the open

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:35 am

for deer hunting, absolutly not, deer will notice it right away...

for turkeys, i place my blinds by trees if possible, if not, right out in the middle of an open field..turkeys seem to care less of that blind! i never brush it in just for some reason turkeys dont seem to get bothered by it...

if i place a blind in the middle of the field..i put between 3-6 decoys out and in a "U" shape around me so that any birds behind me can see the "tail end" of my setup...
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 am

I have placed my blind out in the open before, but I prefer to put it up against a tree (like a cedar) or something..not sure if it really makes any difference, but it just gives me a little piece of mind. I know guys who place their blinds out in the open without any issues though..

As far as decoying tips, my suggestion would be to keep the decoys close. I like to have mine 6-8 yards away, and I might even start putting them a little closer (3-5). I have a breeding pair (submissive hen and a strutter) that I put at that distance, and typically I put a feeding hen a little closer to the blind and off to the side a bit..
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 02, 2011 2:49 am

I have NEVER had an issue with placing my blinds in the open. In fact I'd say I prefer to not be up against something because it takes away a shooting opportunity in that direction. That being said a lot of the ground I hunt is fairly low pressure so birds are retarded.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”