How long from field to freezer or refrigerator?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountain Man
500 Club

How long from field to freezer or refrigerator?

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:49 am

I was wondering how long it takes others from the time they kill a turkey until they get it cleaned/butchered and into a refrigerator or freezer.

It usually takes me a few hours. In WI it’s required to register the turkey and most of the time, after I kill a bird, I take it to get registered fairly quickly (which could still be up to a few hours after the kill since the closest registration station doesn’t open until 10 am). After registering then I cut it up. If I can’t get it registered within a few hours after the kill I will gut it and put the bird on ice until I can get it registered.

I’ve never had a problem with meat spoiling after a few hours but I’m always concerned that by not gutting or cleaning sooner I’m setting the meat up to go bad.

I' like to know what the time frame is for others for a turkey from field to freezer or refrigerator.

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: How long from field to freezer or refrigerator?

Unread postby Casper » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:28 am

My registration spot usually opens at 8. So we get the bird registered and cleaned right away. Takes about 90 minutes from kill to in the freezer. Three down this year so far 8-)
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:11 am

I think alot has to do with the outside temp. If it's 80 degrees and just sitting in the sun it's going to go bad quicker than if it's fifty and in the shade. We usually shoot a bird and by time we get it out and to the check station and back gut and get it home it can be 3-4 hours and have never had one go bad. Same with a deer if it's 50's in the day and in the shade and cooler at night the deer can hang over night to cool out and skin the next day.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:56 am

I learned the hard way on that last year!! Shot a bird Friday morning, registered it. Since I was all by myself I put it in the fridge whole til the next morning when I went home. I did this so I could bring it home and show the kids and get a few pics!! Well, when I opened the fridge I about lost my supper and beers from the night before!! :shock: :lol: Ended up pitching the meat and just saving the beard, spurs and tail... :oops:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”