Must Know Info For Turkey Hunting...

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Must Know Info For Turkey Hunting...

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 am

Im getting pretty pumped to go out on my first turkey hunt tomorrow morning. I am going over everything in my head making sure i have everything and know as much as possible. I am just looking for some more info on general turkey hunting. I will only be the camera man but i plan to turkey hunt in the future. It will be on my land and my blind but his bow and him calling.Any othre info that what i have will be awesome!
What i know(Little)
-Wear as much black as possible
-Dont move!
-Find the roost and wait(Not sure where they roost)
-Where to aim for the kill
-Semi-brush the blind in
-Rain is a good thing
-Pack a lunch?
-Take good video!

What i dont know and would like to-
-On a hill or in the valley?
-Where to find roosts?
-In woods or open field?
-ANYTHING ELSE HELPFUL!

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Must Know Info For Turkey Hunting...

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:21 am

No need to brush in the blind. It sounds crazy, but you can put it in a wide open field if you want.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:24 am

Find the roost tonight! Go to the spot 10 or 15 mins before dark, and give a barred owl call. If you find one in the evening, it makes the morning so much easier, and you gain the advantage of being able to set up on a bird you know is there.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Likely to late, but turkeys seem to have a daily routine where I hunt. They tend to roost in the same tree's and fly down and head to the same field/strut zone. I have had ZERO luck setting up close to the birds, as there are usually several flocks roosting in close proximity. They seem to always have hens. My advice, figure out this pattern and set up a 100-200yds away, between where they are roosted, and the first opening they head for each morning. Dont have to do much calling and if you do, its much easier to call them towards where they want to go. This is how I hunt them in farm country.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”