How do you clean your turkey???

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How do you clean your turkey?

Pluck the whole bird
5%
Skin the whole bird
18%
Just remove the breasts
77%

Total votes: 57
Jdw
500 Club

Re: How do you clean your turkey???

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:52 am

I skin and cut out the breast and take the muscle at the base of the wing then skin and remove the thigh and leg.

My wife makes a killer pot pie by boiling the legs deboning them and then cooking them in the pie.

Legs and thighs have great flavor but they require slow cooking to break them down to make them tinder.

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 am

sureshotscott wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:I am absolutely impressed with how many "just the breast" votes there are. I skin the while bird and break it down from there, it's super super easy to break down when you have a naked bird. The legs and thigh hold a ton of meat, if you have a crockpot/smoker/oven it can be made into some outstanding dishes! I actually prefer the thighs because I like my turkey a little fattier then the breast meat. I do make almost all my breasts into jerky, it's just to darn good! If you guys have never taken the legs and thigh I would recommend doing once this year, you'll never let them go to waste again!

We have 2 pages of guys saying mostly, "save the breasts and dump the rest." And you seem to be saying the legs/thighs are great. How much crockpot/smoker/oven time are you talking about? More details would be appreciated.

No need to be testy, I'm just saying that it's kind of like saying take the back strap on a deer dump the rest!
I mean its wild turkey, but you really don't need to treat it differently than breast meat, actually it's a tad fattier so it handles the grill pretty well too. As you well know when talking wild game so much of the flavor and tenderness comes from how the meat was treat after the kill!
One of my favorite ways to do turkey is pulled pork style, simply because it last for days and is always better as left overs. I use a bread pan and dry season bone in meat and throw it in the smoker on medium heat, for about 45 mins, then after seasoning a bit with some hot sauce, I'll cover the pan in foil and set the heat to low for 2.5-3 hours. Bone comes rigget out, then shred and I'll use my favorite bbq sauce to make sliders
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 am

tgreeno wrote:
BigHunt wrote:i dont pluck, skin or breast them ...heck i dont even clean them :lol: i just take it to kewaskum meats and they do it for me :mrgreen: im a big fan of smoked turkey! :L:

Hmmm...I used to have a buddy that smoked pheasants...Yum! What do they charge to smoke one?

18$
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 am

Recipes?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:57 am

thepennsylvanian wrote:
sureshotscott wrote:
thepennsylvanian wrote:I am absolutely impressed with how many "just the breast" votes there are. I skin the while bird and break it down from there, it's super super easy to break down when you have a naked bird. The legs and thigh hold a ton of meat, if you have a crockpot/smoker/oven it can be made into some outstanding dishes! I actually prefer the thighs because I like my turkey a little fattier then the breast meat. I do make almost all my breasts into jerky, it's just to darn good! If you guys have never taken the legs and thigh I would recommend doing once this year, you'll never let them go to waste again!

We have 2 pages of guys saying mostly, "save the breasts and dump the rest." And you seem to be saying the legs/thighs are great. How much crockpot/smoker/oven time are you talking about? More details would be appreciated.

No need to be testy, I'm just saying that it's kind of like saying take the back strap on a deer dump the rest!
I mean its wild turkey, but you really don't need to treat it differently than breast meat, actually it's a tad fattier so it handles the grill pretty well too. As you well know when talking wild game so much of the flavor and tenderness comes from how the meat was treat after the kill!
One of my favorite ways to do turkey is pulled pork style, simply because it last for days and is always better as left overs. I use a bread pan and dry season bone in meat and throw it in the smoker on medium heat, for about 45 mins, then after seasoning a bit with some hot sauce, I'll cover the pan in foil and set the heat to low for 2.5-3 hours. Bone comes rigget out, then shred and I'll use my favorite bbq sauce to make sliders

I like what PA described for sliders.

Might give that a go if I can get one to eat lead next week.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:18 am

I don’t turkey hunt much anymore but I used to skin the breasts and legs.

you can do a lot of different things with the breasts. I used to butterfly, marinate, and grill them being careful not to over cook.

I know that most just toss them but the legs make a good soup in the crock pot. Long, slow, and moist is the way to go with the legs. Try them in the crockpot; the worst that can happen is you end up ordering pizza. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 am

My wife will wrap chicken skins over the breasts, place in oven bag, and bake them.... they come out soft and moist, they are excellent....................
NEMAD

Unread postby NEMAD » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 am

Just remove breasts and make jerky past few years, may get more creative from these recipes, keep em coming.
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”