A Tough Opener

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

A Tough Opener

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:11 am

Anyone that was hunting this weekend knows 30 mph winds, snow, sleet, and cold tempratures are not conducive to strutting gobblers. I took a half day off work on Friday and ran out to a few farms I have been watching with my best friend Erik. That very first afternoon I saw what I thought was a pair of toms at a distance we put the stalk on but they gave us the slip. I tried calling in a few of the woodlots but didn't get a single reply. I was walking down the side of the ridge back to my truck and I rolled my ankle on mossy rock, and I mean rolled it bad, to the point where I thought I might have to go to the hospital.

Saturday morning we were greeted by rain/snow and howling winds again. I tried to get out of bed but I couldn't bear any weight on my foot whatsoever. After four ibueprofins I hobbled through a field with Erik and set up under a pine tree with a few decoys out. Did not see a SINGLE bird, nor hear anything.

Yesterday It was warmer and the sun was out. My ankle was feeling a fair amount better. We decided to try to do a little spot and stalk action. As we were driving along the road that skirts one of the ridges we can hunt I noticed a Tom strutting on the ridge top. I parked the truck in an area where we were shielded by a large pine plantation that butted up to the ridge. We snuck through the pines, used the ridge valleys for cover and as we belly crawled to the top of the ridge there was about 30 birds in a big group and unfortunatly the two big Toms in the group were at about 50 yards heading away from us.

My friend who has never shot a turkey before asked me what to do. I told him we could drop back down and try and get around on them or he should shoot one of the Jakes. He chose to shoot a Jake since it was the last day and time was ticking. He tumbeled one at about 40 yards. It was a tough weekend, but we ended up on top. Great hunt and my friend was thrilled, jumping up and down and celebrating.

I'm like everyone else, we all want a Tom, but in this case, with the cards mother nature dealt us, my ankle, and the fact that I did not hear a single gobble all weekend this was as good as we could do. No bird for me, but I was happy to be a part of my friends first Turkey.

I might buy OTC 5th or 6th season and see what happens. I have had success during these seasons before, but if I don't then I will still chalk it up as a success.

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: A Tough Opener

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:19 am

At least you got something. I used to always apply for the first or second season. Now I try to get the third. I've had too many seasons like you, as far as weather goes. But, at least I didn't have any injuries ;) Go get the OTC tag and get one in a couple of weeks. I think they are easier to call the first couple of weeks, but the run and gun gets better as the season wears on in my opinion.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:36 am

I'm with ya Squirrel. This is actually the first time I've applied for the first season and I think in the future I go for a later one. A few of my friends told me first season can be feast of famine and in this case it was a rough one........
DROPTYNE

Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 am

My old man was out this past season(calling for others) and got 4 toms and could have had 6 he said counting the misses. He said it was tough. They had to do a lot of hiking to find birds because they weren't using the fields and most of them were silent when they did find them. He said when they did find them the majority were still flocked up with 15+ birds each time.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 am

Sounds like one tough hunt! Congrats to your friend.
A buddy of mine had the first hunt and with the weather and work and family obligations he couldn't get out. Then he got a few hours yesterday evening and went out, popped up his blind, made a few calls and a 24# tom w/ 9" beard came right in. It was over in minutes! I guess that's how it goes sometimes.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:29 am

Last week was a tough one.

I don't apply for the 1st week anymore due to the strong possibility of crappy weather. I did some drive by scouting this past week and saw a lone tom in one area and a group of 4 toms that later hooked up with some hens.

I will be hunting this week but the weather will still be partially crummy. I had week 2 last year also and the vegetation is way behind this year with almost no foliage out yet whereas last year there was a fair amount and visibility was more limited.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 am

So in Wi if you dont get a bird in your season of choice, you can buy another license over the counter? Wow what a great system. In Mi you get your license and bird or not, game over. Our first season starts today and we have 2" of fresh snow on the ground. Not sure if I will go buy the early season, or just go buy the later one, which is longer as well.
Bummer on the ankle, hope it heals quickly. Good job helping out your friend. You guys were in a tough situation, and I have been in one very similar. We belly crawled up a fence row to the top of a hill where birds were strutting. 2 Jakes spotted us and came a bit closer to see what we were. I elected to shoot 1 as it was my first bird. When we ran up to it, the other birds seemed to be in shock that we were there and just woddled off. I could easily have shot one of the bigger birds as they moved off.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 am

That was a tuff hunt!!! Tuff break on the ankle. This week they are talking snow Tues. into Wed. :oops: Glad my season isn't until 4 and 5.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:39 am

Good read DropTyne.....adversities faced a overcame, congrats to you and your buddy, those are the kind of things that make lifelong bonds between people. I appreciate the "woods dance", the shared experience with a buddy is priceless, probably the only time to grown men can dance together and not be looked at the wrong way. Something that certain people will never understand.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 am

DropTyne wrote:I'm with ya Squirrel. This is actually the first time I've applied for the first season and I think in the future I go for a later one. A few of my friends told me first season can be feast of famine and in this case it was a rough one........

X2!!! I have hunted 1st period Twice! First and last!!! :lol: :lol: What a horrendous weather weekend I too had!!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 am

Tadmdad wrote:Good read DropTyne.....adversities faced a overcame, congrats to you and your buddy, those are the kind of things that make lifelong bonds between people. I appreciate the "woods dance", the shared experience with a buddy is priceless, probably the only time to grown men can dance together and not be looked at the wrong way. Something that certain people will never understand.

X2 well said and congrats to you and your buddy for getting it done.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:25 am

kenn1320 wrote:So in Wi if you dont get a bird in your season of choice, you can buy another license over the counter? Wow what a great system. In Mi you get your license and bird or not, game over.

Sort of...., After the main drawing for all that apply by the Dec. deadline is done, the DNR make any remaining permits available to the general public over the counter. I think they cost $10, and you can buy one a day till sold out. Not all zones have tags, and they are uusually for the later seasons.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 am

Tadmdad wrote:Good read DropTyne.....adversities faced a overcame, congrats to you and your buddy, those are the kind of things that make lifelong bonds between people. I appreciate the "woods dance", the shared experience with a buddy is priceless, probably the only time to grown men can dance together and not be looked at the wrong way. Something that certain people will never understand.

It's all about the woods dance! You should have seen it, 28 year old guy with face paint jumping up and down fist pumping, laughing, hugging. A thing of beauty! I had to caution him because he was about to crush my binoculars into the dirt by jumping on them! :D
DROPTYNE

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Awesome, I would rather eat a jake than a tag
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:22 pm

DropTyne wrote:

It's all about the woods dance! You should have seen it, 28 year old guy with face paint jumping up and down fist pumping, laughing, hugging. A thing of beauty! I had to caution him because he was about to crush my binoculars into the dirt by jumping on them! :D

Absolutely....no worries you can always buy another pair of binoculars. But for that moment.... nothing can touch it, it lasts a lifetime!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”