Rat Slayers turkey hunt....

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Rat Slayers turkey hunt....

Unread postby dan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Its been a tough week... 1st Rat Slayer wated to go with his bow. But something is out of wack and we could not get it tuned in time. We had plans for a specific farm that we hunt every year, and every year we have issues with some neighbors that hunt it with permission too..
They always try to claim certain birds, or areas... And they will drive there ATV's all over the farm if they see our truck. There was always plenty of birds and we got one or two off that farm every year despite the but heads... Well this year we found out opening day they leased to farm to have it to themselves. :roll:
One of the other farms we hunt 5 people had permission this week :shock: :roll:
Needless to say, we spent a lot of time on the less crowded public land...
On one hunt we saw a big lone Tom hanging on a tree line out in a field so we drove around and set up about 200 yards from him and tried calling him in but he hung up on a creek. So we decided to back track to the truck and try crawling up the creek, but another hunter saw us glassing the bird and the creek and then spun his truck around and raced us to the creek and went up the creek before, and right in front of us... R/S was pretty pissed, but I said its just a turkey, let em have it and we moved on...
On another hunt I glassed qa big Tom following a drainage ditch heading for a road crossing where we couldn't hunt so I drove over there fast to keep him on our side hoping to set R/S up on the other side in a funnel when he went back the other way... But instead he did the ol "submarine" move like the big one Dan Jr got in the turkey drive on the DVD. hE JUST SUNK STRAIGHT DOWN AND HID IN THE GRASS AND DISSAPEARED. It was pretty clear he was staying there as long as we were parked there and he was down in the ditch leaving a pretty good travel path for the Rat Slayer to sneak up on him. So we discussed it for a minute and then I decided to back up the truck about 20 yards and let R/S out and them move back up to keep the bird in check and film from the truck... To my surprize the stalk went flawlessly, but the bird now named "Houdini" was no where to be found :shock:
How he could of possibly gotten out of there with open field completly surrounding him I don't know... I can only speculate that when I backed the truck up he sprinted up the ditch and snuck out.
Then we found a couple big tom's on a point of brush extending out to a major road, we figured they would have to come down that brush back to the woods... But NOOOO... They decided to actually cross the busy road :roll:

Then the snow and wind really picked up and the snow started sticking... We saw a couple brave Toms in an opening in some public next to a swamp.. In the blowing snow we crawled to 35 / 40 yards from them thru muck and water in the freezing blowing snow and called to get them to take a couple steps our way and they turned and walked away the other direction.. :roll:
On another hunt I glassed two turkeys that I was sure were toms a long way from the road in a very open area. The only way to get at them would be to park nearly a mile from them and sneak up a very mucky and deep drainage creek... Two hours ( and a lot of soakers ) later we crawled up to it to find it was a a jake... R/S decided to pass.
Another hunt we stalked up on 3 jakes and again R/S decided to pass and wait for a Tom...
Today the rain died down a little and the sun came out ( seemed like we were cheating ) But at least we still had the wind to annoy us. We got invited to hunt a private farm that holds a ton of turkeys and decided to give it a try. The leasee whom gave us permission said that he and his kids were going on later dates and he did not want us "runing & gunning" and spooking all his birds. Agreed. He said We could use his tent blind and decoys and talked R/S into trying it... We went to a spot in a pine woods that he said "always" has a few toms around.
As we were setting up the blind we heard a Tom gobble close several times. We set up fast and got inside... Man, there ain't much room in those things..
I called and the Tom immeadiatly fired back with a double gobble... I waited a minute and hit another horny hen yelp and he gobbled back at 1/2 the distance, he must have been running in... I hit the call again and he answered from forty yards walking up the hill straight for our decoys when suddenly a large gust of wind hit the tent and made the window zipper over hang flap violently... Zoom. One gone bird! :evil:
Sure wish we would of just set up against trees like usual.
Shortly after that a tresspasser came by on an ATV and the hunt was over...
Better luck next year Rat Slayer...

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Rat Slayers turkey hunt....

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Sounds like you guys had a tough go of it- the result certainly wasn't due to any lack of effort. Better luck next year, Rat Slayer.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Good read...good stories, and your right it's just a turkey.

Over the years I really don't want to admit how many times that we've been outsmarted by a bird with a brain the size of a walnut, it just ain't right. :lol:
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:23 pm

That was some tuff hunting you guys had!!! :oops:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Kinda sounds like my weekend!! :lol: :shock:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Sounds like you guys had a tough go of it- the result certainly wasn't due to any lack of effort. Better luck next year, Rat Slayer.

X2
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:41 am

Good read, and better luck next year Rat Slayer.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:24 am

Hey RS, good job on setting a goal for a Tom and then sticking to your game plan. No need to settle for less, just cause the clock is ticking.
Good job taking him hunting Dan. Those are memorys he will never forget.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 am

tough hunt Dan & R/S, sounds very familiar though... :roll: well, there is always next year...

Whats with the tent?? :? :mrgreen:
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:52 am

Whats with the tent??

Yea... That was a bad idea. :lol:
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:43 pm

Sounds like a tough hunt...not a lack of trying though, maybe next year :D
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:59 am

Great effort. It definitely wasn't from the lack of effort. Them birds are smart...I don't care what anybody says. If they could smell as good as deer we would be in a world of hurt. Way to stick to your guns R/S on holding out for a mature bird. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”