Youth Turkey Hunt This Weekend!

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Youth Turkey Hunt This Weekend!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:18 am

I have been doing a little turkey scouting and watching and i got a promising spot all picked out. If any of you can remember my girlfriends little brother Nick that i helped get his first deer under the mentor program this past winter. Well he and i are pumped and ready to go Saturday morning. I know its not run and gun but i got a blind all set up that i watched them walk past this morning.

Just a few questions though. I will start with the dumbest one first. There was a Tom that kept following around this one bird that clucked like a hen but had a beard. So tell me, is this a bearded hen?

and also, this bearded hen lookin thing walked out first both dyas i scouted and then lots of hens and then the toms. SO would you have him shoot the first bearded hen/Jake or risk waitin for the toms.

Here are a few more pics for the heck of it.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Youth Turkey Hunt This Weekend!

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 am

First, I think its fantastic that you are mentoring that young hunter- great job!

second, that sure looks like a bearded hen- they are pretty common around my home area. A bearded hen would make a pretty cool trophy for a new turkey hunter.

If I was confident the bigger toms were going to go by in range, I'd wait them out. If it is a hit-or-miss proposition, I'd put him on the first legal bird that wanders by... even if you end up unsuccessful, the excitement of the hunt is going to capture all of his attention and I suspect you will have a turkey hunting partner for many years.

Best of luck Saturday morning, I'll be anxious to hear your report. 8-)
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 am

I'll be heading out with my son this weekend, too. I agree with SB, that's a bearded hen. I have never seen one hunting yet, but my brother shot one two years ago. If I had a clear shot at the hen I would take her, that would make for a rare first turkey 8-) . If the hens come out tomorrow morning and do the same thing they did when you scouted them, chances are the Toms will follow suit, so long as the hens don't spook. I think you would have a good chance at one of the Toms. That being said you only got two days, and you never know. It's his first year and any legal bird will be a true trophy for him. Good luck!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:03 am

Sweet!! Thanks guys, ill have to talk to nick and explain how its kinda rare and see what he wants to do if the oportunity presents itself.

Good luck squirrel! I hope to see you posting some bird pics in the morning!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:16 am

The only advice I really have would just be repeating what the other two have stated, so I'll save you the time..

Just wanted to tell you guys good luck, and be sure to take lots of pictures! (and some of your video work would be great too if you are taking the camera along!)
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:43 am

bearded hen for sure.,

if theres a tom around... have the boy kill the gobbler.

bearded hens are neat, but toms are much larger, pretty head, nice fan, beard of course... and the spurs... MAN i love spurs!!!

bearded hens are legal in my state, and I may shoot 1 just becuase Id like it mouted with a strutting bird.

Both are trophys sounds like the boy is in for a good ride!!

good luck, and keep us posted!
You can't kill em on the couch
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:22 am

Thats a bearded hen. I would wait and try to get a gobbler.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:28 am

I will be haeding out tomorrow with both my boys! Going to learn to hunt turkey, Beast style with Dan... He was nice enough to offer to take us out and show us the ropes! Thank you Dan! The boys are excited for thier first try at turkey hunting! I cant wait!
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:53 am

forgehunter wrote:I will be haeding out tomorrow with both my boys! Going to learn to hunt turkey, Beast style with Dan... He was nice enough to offer to take us out and show us the ropes! Thank you Dan! The boys are excited for thier first try at turkey hunting! I cant wait!

Good luck should be a great time!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:07 am

Brandon wrote:bearded hen for sure.,

if theres a tom around... have the boy kill the gobbler.

bearded hens are neat, but toms are much larger, pretty head, nice fan, beard of course... and the spurs... MAN i love spurs!!!

bearded hens are legal in my state, and I may shoot 1 just becuase Id like it mouted with a strutting bird.

Both are trophys sounds like the boy is in for a good ride!!

good luck, and keep us posted!

X2!!!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:16 am

Black Squirrel wrote:
forgehunter wrote:I will be haeding out tomorrow with both my boys! Going to learn to hunt turkey, Beast style with Dan... He was nice enough to offer to take us out and show us the ropes! Thank you Dan! The boys are excited for thier first try at turkey hunting! I cant wait!

Good luck should be a great time!

Thanks BS! I am hoping the rain holds off... this will be my first time in the woods going for turkey too, so all three of us are pretty stoked about it!

After we watched the DVD they are ready to get a little wet! :lol:
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:09 am

Is he using bow or gun? I say any legal kill as long as you can get some good video of it!

My buddy shot a bearded hen in Fon du Lac I always thought they were really rare too so maybe he should pull the trigger? big beard on her!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:20 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:Is he using bow or gun? I say any legal kill as long as you can get some good video of it!

My buddy shot a bearded hen in Fon du Lac I always thought they were really rare too so maybe he should pull the trigger? big beard on her!

That's another reason, I would opt for the hen. That's a good size beard for a hen. Usually they are shorter and thinner. But again, any legal bird would be a great first turkey!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 am

Camera will be in hand!! We will pry take whatever is first but a big fan and beard sure would look sweet on his bedroom wall!!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Wish you guys luck Predator! I took a kid out for his first turkey hunt last year too. It was so much fun for me and him even though we didnt get anything. Its an Awesome teaching opportunity Predator! You will get to show him how to be a hunter and that is an awesome feeling even for younger guys like us. :) Have fun and be safe.

PS cant wait to see your video.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”