Juneau co public land turkey help!

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matson123

Juneau co public land turkey help!

Unread postby matson123 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Beast friends,

My dad and I spent all day scouting Necedah and the county land off of M, south of Hwy 21, but with no success. Where we found great looking habitat, we found absolutely no sign. Our land is completely flooded right now, so we really only had today to scout a new place. Has anyone hunted this area before that can help us find at least a starting spot for the hunt? My dad's never turkey hunted before, so I'm trying to get him into the addiction. Any help is hugely appreciated! Feel free to send a private message, as I also check those. Thanks!

goldtip5575
500 Club

Re: Juneau co public land turkey help!

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:03 am

Is there any timber co. land that is public in that area.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:02 am

I have no idea where you are talking about or what it's like...But, around here the turkeys haven't dispersed a lot yet. There are still large groups of birds hanging together. Areas that are vacant now will soon have birds in them. I would look for high spots with trees big enough to roost in and go from there. If the area is known to have birds, they may not be there now, but they might be in a couple of weeks.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 am

Spysar wrote:I have no idea where you are talking about or what it's like...But, around here the turkeys haven't dispersed a lot yet. There are still large groups of birds hanging together. Areas that are vacant now will soon have birds in them. I would look for high spots with trees big enough to roost in and go from there. If the area is known to have birds, they may not be there now, but they might be in a couple of weeks.

Exactly!! The deer are yarded up and the turkeys flocked up, both near feeders yet in Northern WI!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
matson123

Unread postby matson123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Goldtip - Not that I am aware of. There is about 600 acres of County Land and the 10,000 acres of Federal refuge area. I know there are plenty of turkeys...I'm just not finding them! :-) But, I did find lots of high ground, so I guess I'll start there in a couple of Fridays!

-Adam
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:00 pm

I would bet the turkeys in that area are still flocked up like said before, so if you don't find the flock you won't have much luck right now. Down here the birds were still grouped last week, but have started to break up this week, weather has somewhat of a factor on when they will break up. If you still have a bit of snow on the ground I would bet they aren't in any hurry to leave a good food source yet.
I'd try again later this week or early next week (youth hunt this weekend statewide) and see if you find any sign. Is there any good ag land nearby your scouting areas? That's the first place I would start looking and listening.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

I'm not much of a turkey hunter but I'd look for turkey sign. Scratchings, visual sightings, roost trees - poop below them, try locating them with calls after they roost. Then make up a gameplan after you locate them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”